More threads by dark

dark

I've had OCD all my life and it gets tiring. I reorganize constantly -- example, I make sure the cans or spaghetti sauce jars etc. labels are facing towards me in the cupboard. I wash dishes as I cook and of course everything has to be put away before I can actually sit down and eat my prepared food, which might be cold by then. I eat standing up while I'm cleaning a good portion of the time too; not exactly relaxing.

As funny as it might sound, people have asked whether they should bath before getting in my car because it's so clean; it's embarrassing I'm such a nut case. All this activity takes an incredible amount of time and energy. I obsess about cleaning, particularly bathrooms. I hate filth of any kind and love my 'wipes'; sad as that sounds. F**ing nightmare and yes, my anxiety levels are extremely high due to all the daily rituals, but somehow I manage.

I will admit a comforting feeling, having things in their place. And I like my stuff very orderly so I can easily fine what I want, when wanted. Spending excessive time looking for something never made sense. Guess there's pros and cons, but I'm just not allowed to stop in my own mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Have you tried behavior therapy? Most people with OCD have a lot of success with behavior therapy along with the cognitive approach and meds.

One aspect of behavior therapy is exposure therapy:

. The exposure part of the therapy involves actually confronting the source of the anxiety and/or discomfort. A person afraid of contamination from public bathrooms will be asked to go with the therapist to a bathroom and touch some "contaminated" item in the bathroom.

Behavior Therapy | Obsessive Compulsive Foundation

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You can't expect to get your OCD under control with just a couple of session, dark. If you want to get to the point where you control it instead of it controlling you, you are going to have to make an investment in therapy.

Medication would help, too, especially in the early phase of therapy.

dark

You can't expect to get your OCD under control with just a couple of session, dark. If you want to get to the point where you control it instead of it controlling you, you are going to have to make an investment in therapy... Medication would help, too, especially in the early phase of therapy.

I didn't give it a chance, you're right, but not sure when I'll try another therapist with meds. Normally I don't embrace meds by default. Ironically I have the ability to relax in the evening, but not during dinner right after work.

Marc Summers is a celebrity who had some of the same type of compulsions about cleanliness and organization. He does mention how behavior therapy and medications helped him in his book:

Everything In Its Place: My Trials and Triumphs with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Mr. Summers become a spokesman for the Obsessive Compulsive Foundation for a while. I haven't read his book, but I think it could be a good supplement to Brain Lock.

Unaware of Mr. Summers and book; I'll investigate.

Thank you both!

Garrett

I used to be that way when I was a child and young adult. I remember doing a lot of the things you do. I don't guess I ever saw it has a problem though. I'm not saying that it's not, because I'm sure for some people it can be torture.

It wasn't until I got married that it all slowly started to go away. I no longer had control of how things were organized and got tired of trying to keep up.

That "perfection" side of me is still evident in organizing of things that are important to me, but most everything else doesn't matter anymore.

Good luck. I'm sure things will get better for you.

Oh, almost forgot. I do have this obsession about washing my hands of germs. I do it so much in winter they start to crack and bleed. I just look at it as a good thing because of all the stuff out there that can make you sick these days. Oh, and I can't stand water on the kitchen counters either. That's a real problem with me. I hate water there. My wife can't understand why that is. I can't either.

;)Ongoing professional help has really helped me with my OCD. I used to clean all day long but now I have only cleaned up to 3 hours a week.

I encourage fellow OCDers to get ongoing psychotherapy as meds help up to a point!

This is why I call myself miss ex-clean as I am a recovering clean-aholic!

miss ex-clean

dark

;)Ongoing professional help has really helped me with my OCD. I used to clean all day long but now I have only cleaned up to 3 hours a week.

I encourage fellow OCDers to get ongoing psychotherapy as meds help up to a point!

This is why I call myself miss ex-clean as I am a recovering clean-aholic!

miss ex-clean

Thanks; you guys already helped.

Mari

MVP
H! dark - I like your new name - much better. You would not like me so much as I did not clean my house for over two years. Now I have started and it is quite overwhelming but with patience it will get done. For my anger it has been suggested that I beat up a pillow or smash something that is not of value but those are not helpful for me because they seem pointless and my anger just pops back up again. I have decided that when my anger starts I will clean the house - I do it rather noisily and madly but I feel that my anger is accomplishing something. :hissyfit: Mari

lallieth

Dark

I too clean as I cook and I like a clean tidy organized home,because to me having my home this way sets a tone...a home that is kept and tidy tends to lend a sort of calm for me and for my family I get anxious in a home that is untidy or very cluttered.

But over the years I have learned to let certain things go,realizing that with 5 kids the house would have to wait.My mom always says "a home should be clean enough to be healthy,dirty enough to be happy"

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.