More threads by lilslugger

Ive found a new way to fight ocd but it is excausting. I keep thinking good thoughts to keep bad ones at bay. I have self harmed alot last month because of ocd. But this is a new month so i'll try to get through it self harm free. I cant keep a job because i think im too stupid to keep a job. I worked in a shop for near 4 years but got fired because of self harm. Now every job i look at i think i'm too stupid to work there. I'm confident i have learning difficulties that are undiagnosed.

Re: ocd and work

Hmm... If you got fired because of your self-harm, then that means you didn't get fired because you were too stupid to do the job, right?

Having a treatable illness is no reason to see oneself as stupid. :support:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I agree with what Charity said.

I worked in a shop for near 4 years but got fired because of self harm.

I am not sure where you live, but I cannot see how this is legal. Is there a union at your work where you can seek council on being fired? Also in Canada, there is the Labour board and folks with diagnosed mental illnesses are protected under the disabilities secion. As well as in the Ontario Human Rights Code

Now every job i look at i think i'm too stupid to work there. I'm confident i have learning difficulties that are undiagnosed.

Sometimes with OCD it is difficult to think or keep thoughts in order. I often find myself in big bouts of confusion. Is it possable the learning difficulties are related to the OCD? Did you have learning difficulties when you were in school?

Last edited:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I found this from the Ontario Human Rights Comission

Ontario Human Rights Commission
“Disability” covers a broad range and degree of conditions, some visible and others not. A disability may have been present from birth, caused by an accident, or developed over time. It includes physical, mental, and learning disabilities, mental disorders, hearing or vision disabilities, epilepsy, drug and alcohol dependencies, environmental sensitivities, as well as other conditions.

Under the Code, protection from discrimination because of disability includes past, present and perceived conditions. For example, a person who experiences discrimination because she is a recovered alcoholic is protected by the Code, as is a person whose condition does not limit his workplace abilities but who is believed to be at greater risk of having limitations in the future.

as well as this

Ontario Human Rights Commission

THE DUTY TO ACCOMMODATE

Even when facilities and services are designed as inclusively as possible, some persons with disabilities may still require an accommodation to meet their individual needs. The “duty to accommodate” is the legal obligation that employers, unions, landlords and service providers have under the Code to meet the needs of persons with disabilities. The goal of accommodation is to allow equal benefit from and participation in services, housing, or the workplace.

Accommodation is a shared responsibility. Everyone involved, including the person seeking accommodation, should co-operate in the process, exchange relevant information, and explore accommodation solutions together.

There is no set formula for accommodating people with disabilities. Though certain accommodations can benefit many, individual needs must still be considered each time an accommodation request is made. A solution for one person may not work for someone else. Some examples of accommodations include:

• Increased flexibility in work hours or break times
  • Providing reading materials in alternative formats including digitized text, Braille or large print
  • Providing sign language interpreters or real time captioning for persons who are deaf, deafened or hard of hearing so they can participate in meetings
  • Installing automatic entry doors and making washrooms accessible in the workplace or the common areas of a condominium
  • And depending on the circumstances, job restructuring, retraining or assignment to an alternative position
Many accommodations can be made easily, and at minimal cost. In some cases, immediate implementation of the most appropriate solution might result in “undue hardship” because of costs or health and safety factors. There is still a duty to consider and implement next-best measures that would not result in undue hardship. Such measures should be taken only until more ideal solutions can be put in place or phased in.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
And there are also work placement agencies that help people with mental health disorders find flexible work options.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
NicNak, I don't believe that lilslugger is in North America so some of our human rights and employee rights laws may not apply in her area.

Hi lilslugger seeing you kept the job 4 years must tell you they were pleased with your work ethics and your ability. I am sorry they felt they had to let you go because of your self harming ignorance on their part not yours.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.