More threads by Been there Done that

I know that I would never actually commit suicide, but I keep having thoughts tell me that I am going to overdose and that's the last thing I would ever do.

I did attempt one time in June where I swallowed 3 blood pressure pills but I immedietly drank some charcoal and went to the hospital where after that I knew I didn't want to die.

I still don't want to die and I am not depressed but I still have these thougts alot (that is when I am not distracted)

My therapist told me that if it's something I would never do(taking overdose of pills) and would not want to do then
it's and OCD thought. I know these are OCD thoughts but they are constant. Anyone else with these thoughts?

Retired

Re: ocd suicidal thoughts

Have a look at this page that talks about intrusive thoughts. I have always found their description of intrusive thoughts to be one of the best I've come accross.

Thoughts are not actions, they are only thoughts.

Re: ocd suicidal thoughts

Do you know for sure that you have been diagnosed as OCD?
I have been diagnosed with OCD and my therapist knows that these are OCD thoughts.
If they are real suicidal thoughts then you would truly want to die.
Do you want to die or to live?(that's the question to ask yourself)

I have been diagnosed with OCD. I don't feel sure 100% that I have it, but my therapist says I do. He gets concerned about some of the suicidal thoughts because of past attempts. I mostly want to live. I really do. It's just that sometimes it hurts SO much inside I feel I can't go on and don't deserve to live. So mostly I think they're OCD thoughts, but some of them might be real, suicidal thoughts.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
but I still have these thougts alot (that is when I am not distracted)

and socializing is one of the most common ways to be distracted (in a positive way).

Yes when I am distracted I do not have those tormenting OCD thoughts. I wonder if a person with REAL suicidal thoughts can be distracted(as opposed to ocd suicidal thoughts)

"I wonder if a person with REAL suicidal thoughts can be distracted(as opposed to ocd suicidal thoughts)"

Yes. And one can learn to distract (or refocus) oneself--it takes a lot of effort but it can be done. The other thing is to get one or more other people involved--watch a funny show with a family member, go to lunch with a friend, go for a bike ride with someone. Suicide is prevalent in my family along with bipolar and depression.

When my swings get intense, the thoughts and desires to self destruct are a constant companion but I learned to separate my emotional mind from my logical mind. I hang on to my logical mind and keep changing my focus. I refuse to respond to my negative emotions and keep my mind too busy to let the thoughts in. I also tell my husband so he is aware.

This morning I took an 11 mile, hilly bike ride to burn off some of the negative energy. Usually, when I feel "normal", I can only do 6 miles, but I had lots of negative, self destructive energy to get rid of and I was riding for my life and sanity. My husband went with me. The exercise, fresh air and sunshine did me good - the tough ride helped quite a bit. Getting rid of the tons of negative energy made it easier for me to distract myself the rest of the day. I pushed myself to clean the house after that to keep me busy and occupied.

Tonight, my husband was thinking about going to visit someone for about 2 or two & a half hours, but I asked if he would mind staying home and watching a couple of old classic movies with me. He was more than willing and we had a nice evening. He's my prince. I know this will pass. It's not as bad 2 days ago, yesterday was slightly better, today was a bit better and I expect tomorrow will be much easier and maybe completely fine. It's part of my cycling, I understand it, my psychiatrist used to worry about it but now knows that I've learned to handle it.

If I ever find it gets so intense that I'm losing touch with my logical mind and the emotional impulses are getting stronger than what I can safely deal with, I will tell my husband and we will call my psychiatrist. He may up my meds dose, or he may send me to hospital. I've been working hard so I'll never have to go to hospital ever again, and I don't plan to ever again. But if my pdoc and husband agree I should go, I will.

I know they don't want me to have to go either, but they also want me safe. I trust their judgement--they've stuck by me and earned my faith in them. And they see how hard I've worked and I've earned their trust as well--we're a team.

So, yes, suicidal thoughts and feelings can be overcome, but make sure you know your limitations and have a backup plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.