More threads by g-scared

g-scared

I don't know if there is even any point in writing this, as I am already on my way out. I feel like I have endured months of abuse from my co-workers. I've complained to my equals, and also to my superiors, in order. It was not until recently that they realized that a really strong clique had been formed, against me, and that I was being blatently ignored and sometimes harrassed. I'm filling out my last week and I feel like I'm a dead man walking. Any consolation? I can't wait until it's over, but I also feel that this is my last chance of reaching any kind of resolution. I didn't mean for them to catch on to the reason I quit my job. I didn't want them to think there was a problem. I just wanted to make a clean get away, and then it was ruined because my boss stood up for me. But it was too late by then. I had already made up my mind to quit.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts.
g

ThatLady

It's always difficult to leave a job under adverse circumstances, g-scared. However, it's not a unique experience, by any means. It happens to a lot of people, unfortunately.

It was kind of your boss to speak up in your defense, but if you've made up your mind to seek other employment, you've just got to ride out this last week. Anytime I find myself in a difficult, but self-limiting situation, I always say to myself: "I can do a week hanging by my thumbs. I'm tough that way." It helps me realize that it's not permanent and that I can make it through.

Once you're away from the stress, take a break for a week or two, if you can. Then, start looking for something that fits your needs and a company into which you feel you'll be a good fit. Try to do some investigation on companies to which you might apply before you apply. That way, you'll have some idea of what you're walking into.

Good luck to you! You haven't done anything wrong, and what's happened you isn't because there's something wrong with you. Bad things happen to good people! :hug:

g-scared

Thank you. Yes, I think it's time to let things go, and just ride out the last two weeks.

It's just so bizzarre, because I've been working here for about a year and three months, and everything was fine until recently. Ahh.. but I tried to reason with them, and they were just so stubborn. And well, I just don't work well with mobs, so I'm on my way out.

Trying to make the best of it, but still unsure about some things. What if they want to have a good bye drink, let byegones be byegones. In concept it's nice, but I think that leaving it to the last minute is rather poor taste, and I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice my own time and comfort just to make them feel better. But maybe I will just suck it up for a little while longer. Humor their simple selfish souls. Ahh... what would you recommend? I find that once you begin being honest, it's hard to go back.

Thanks!
g

ThatLady

If it were me, and these people had treated me cruelly, or with disrespect, I wouldn't feel obligated toward them, at all. I'd do my job for these last two weeks, keep to myself as much as possible, answer questions politely but curtly, and leave when it came time to leave. Should anyone decide that a little "goodbye party" was indicated, I'd let them know I wasn't interested and wouldn't be attending, but wish them a good time. Then, I'd be on my way. The only person I might agree to having a goodbye drink with would be the boss who was kind enough to come to your defense. At the very least, I think I'd drop a nice Thank You card on his desk before I left. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Any consolation? I can't wait until it's over, but I also feel that this is my last chance of reaching any kind of resolution.

Well, I don't know what's best in your financial situation. However, I have never regretted quitting a job. I have been at a job where the college-age kids wanted me gone while everyone that was older, including my boss, treated me very nicely. It was a bizarre experience.

The best consolation is the movie "Office Space."

g-scared

Oh, that's an excellent idea, the thank you card I mean.

I hate to leave on a sore note, but I feel like I was just stating the obvious, and I think you are right, that I should not feel obligated to make any false pretenses.

My boss has been very great though. He offered to give me a good recommendation once I left, and gave me a hug after I explained to him how I felt I was being mistreated.

Thanks again.

g-scared

Daniel,
Yes! I think I agree with you when I say I am very happy I decided to leave. I cannot wait to move on and do other things.
Finances, ahh.. I'll be all right for at least a few months. I'll get bored and find something else by then.
Thanks.
g

g-scared

Ha! And yes, I watched office space a few weeks ago. It was a good laugh.
I feel a little better already.
Thanks,
gabriela

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.