More threads by David Baxter PhD

Andy

MVP
lol Come again? He sounds like a gobbling turkey when he is saying "Goal,Goal,Goal..."

lol someone needs to give that guy some light taps on the back, he's skipping.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Precisely.

Some guy on the radio (a US source, by the way) yesterday was getting all excited musing about what would happen if the US makes it to the final round of the World Cup or (gasp) actually won. His theory was that Americans like to be winners or they won't bother and if they could actually start winning soccer would become just as popular in the States as in other parts of the world.

No it wouldn't. It won't in Canada either. The only people watching in North America (well, maybe Mexico, what do I know?) are immigrants who grew up with nothing else to get excited about (I mean cricket? please...). Look at hockey: US teams have won many of the Stanley Cups over the past decade but they're still struggling to bring people to the rinks in most cities.

One of my sisters, who grew up in England, wrote:
But the constant ebb and flow of the game is what makes it so intriguing David. You and I really need to sit down and watch a game some day. Or give yourself a real treat and come and watch me play one day ...
My reply:
You mean like the constant ebb and flow of blades of grass on your lawn on a hot,muggy, almost airless summer day? That ebb and flow? Yep. For raw excitement, that is hard to beat.

As for sitting down and watching a game, there's a very fine line between watching soccer and having a nap.

Andy

MVP
I agree. America has their Football and Baseball. The only time soccer will ever be popular is in school. America likes to be winners or they don't bother? lol Hmm interesting.

Andy

MVP
Those are pretty "high" percentages...:funny:...groan. Actually that may mean that USA is more wasteful. Leaving all that behind. Tsk tsk

Kiki

Ohh David , it's much worst here in Japan. It's a shame to tell about these Japanese idiots. They don't sleep just to watch the soccer game. When Japan won vs. England.....of my God.....all the japanese tv channels..........its all about the soccer game airing it again and again from morning till evening. You can see almost all the announcers, watchers, cheers......they act , sound , look like crazy. Some are shouting , yelling, that Japan won, some are crying, hugging (what's so serious about it? ) Some stay overnight outside in the streets or so just to wait for the result of the game. Why outside? Coz they are afraid they might fall asleep. (Why not go inside and watch the tv huh).......How I wish to watch news about politics, economics or anything except sports specially soccer that really sucks..I hate it very very much.

Boo! ;) :lies:
I can't make excuses for whoever hired the turkey commentator, but this thread is so full of lies that I don't know where to begin. :p (Riots and public disturbances are of course not cool, but the sport is)
Soccer = Awesome. (And Brazil for the 2010 WC!!!)

That's not fair! :p Having now called my own display name and avatar a lie, I must retreat. Although not before pointing out that Yoshi's egg in my avatar looks somewhat like a soccer ball ;) :D

OK. I recant. I find watching grass grow and paint dry thrilling too. :D
That's lucky, since there's often plenty of grass on the soccer field. :) And if there's not, as in the case of Australian pitches, you'll actually be able to plant the grass seeds yourself! :D Then I'm sure if you ask nicely, they'll let you paint the lines on the field.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.