More threads by Retired

Retired

Online back up sites have flourished recently, but can you trust your most important data some, any or none of them?

Some insights into online back up sites can be found HERE, including the comments that follow the article.

What has been your experience with online back up sites?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I've never used them and never will for anything critical. I don't trust anything really important to other people and there's also the issue of privacy/confidentiality.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What has been your experience with online back up sites?

Very good with Dell Datasafe, which offers a free trial of 2GB for the first year.

But Windows Live's SkyDrive, which I haven't tried yet, now offers 25 GB of online storage.

Regarding privacy concerns, most of the documents I have are so boring you couldn't pay people to read them. And I still use offline hard drives for backup.

Retired

Aside from leaving confidential information in someone else's possession, the other concern is for the possible demise of the site, as has already happened to some.

A potential benefit could be the ability to share files with someone else at another location. The confidentiality issue might be resolved by encrypting one's files locally then uploading to the back up site.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
the other concern is for the possible demise of the site, as has already happened to some.

Yes, which is why a name brand like Dell or Microsoft is important to me.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
For owners of Western Digital hard drives, Western Digital is now offering a free download of Acronis True Image, a popular (offline) backup software:

WD Support

This version contains most of the important features of the retail version.

Jackie

I don't like them at all, would much rather put my stuff onto a external hard drive, like the passport size one by Western D. Much safer!

Retired

It may be a useful resource for some backed up material but certainly should not be the only back up. I'd like to learn more about the method of encryption used by some of these sites.

Does encryption take place on my computer and is the data sent on the wire encrypted or does the encryption take place on the back up server?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.