More threads by Ashley-Kate

Well i don't know if it is normal but today on the show of oprah i was so insulted when tey were talking to the women that was anorexic cause like she was basicly telling the husband to leave and take their kids with them and i found that so unfare because the women has no controle over the eating disorder but oprah and the psychiatrist on the show were basicly saying that it is a lifestyle that she chose and who cares about her the kids are in mental danger get them safe and if she is alive after well we may help her and they did not evene do anythign for her they were basicly telling her yeah you should gain weight yeah you are anorexic but try to deal with it your an adult you are no longuer aloud to self destruct as if we could turn it on or off whenever we wanted.
yours trully
ashley

Peanut

Re: oprah today

deal with it your an adult you are no longuer aloud to self destruct as if we could turn it on or off whenever we wanted

That is a really good point. It seems like talk shows are not a good place to stage any type of intervention really...

hey no but honestly i was really affetced :eek:mg:by what was said especially that well it was the psychiatriste that said it and i don't really think that she gets that she and her opinion have influences on other people and how she basicly rediculised the grils probleme as if eigther she was helpless and a bomb just waiting to explode and a danger to her kids but she is not beeting them or staring them sure mentally i agrreee it could be hard on them but physicly i think it was sort of harsh :yikes: to basicly put her on the same page as a violent parent
yours trully
ashley

just mary

Hi Ashley-Kate,

Those talk shows are for entertainment only, no matter what they purport to be. Their goal is to get people fired up and angry. It's not the real world and hopefully that lady will get some good, long term help. I try to stay away from TV these days, any type of media actually. Issues never seem to be discussed, they are either relentlessly criticized or offered unwavering support. This might be easier said than done but try to get your mind off of the show, go for a walk, read a good book, do something you enjoy.

Take care,

g-scared

I agree with Mary. I think that most TV nowadays is garbo, and I only get my news from the radio or internet. That requires a lot of filtering as well. It is usually reduced to npr or New York Times. In any case, do not let these things trouble you Ashley-Kate. There are a lot of things out there and you shouldn't trouble yourself over these mindless programs.

Diana

I agree with Mary that talk shows are meant to get people fired up in either positive or negative ways. I only watch Oprah from time to time when I just happen to see it on. I didn't see that episode, but I was surprised to hear that Oprah took that approach. I've found that Oprah is one talk show that I can actually take seriously because the crowd actually shuts their mouths and lets the guests speak. I would be interested in seeing that episode.
But Ashley-Kate, I can totally understand this making you angry, but try to let it go. It's not your situation. You just have to focus on how to help yourself right now. Maybe some day you'll choose to help others and I'm sure you'll make a difference.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Remember that Oprah is the person who unleashed Dr. Phil on the world. :eek: I have no use for either of them. These shows are not about information or helping people - they are about ratings and money - whatever sells. Honestly, they are barely one notch above Jerry Springer.

Halo

Dr. B. you took the words right out of my mouth!

David Baxter said:
Remember that Oprah is the person who unleashed Dr. Phil on the world. :eek: I have no use for either of them.

I also agree with Mary that most tv these days is for entertainment value only. I have to admit that I am a huge tv fan and watch a lot of it but I have learned to filter out the useless, bad, harmful things and for me I love reality tv. I don't think of it as being helpful or real in any way but I do look at it as mind numbing entertainment. Of course numbing out watching tv is one of my escapes so maybe I am not the best at seeing this from both sides.

Anyway, back to Oprah....I normally don't watch her (unless I am really desperate for tv).

Nancy

Heather

I used to have great respect for Oprah for what she used to do, I think that some of what she used to do was genuine, but now it is EXACTLY what was said above for ratings and money *sigh* and I loved your comment re: Dr Phil, I CAN NOT stand him, argh!?!?

Ashley-Kate that is really sad, it is very important for children to be in a stable environment -- BUT -- know what I mean! I mean if children are loved then that is the most important thing and a person with an ED can do as good a job as any with this. I dunno if I am making this sound bad, I am not meaning to, I am agreeing if you know what I mean.

Thinking of you Heather...

I agree that Oprah is about money and ratings and Dr. Phil too. In some ways I think theyr'e worse than Jerry Springer (not that i watch jerry Springer, but I may have come across his show in changing channels. LOL.) type shows because Dr. Phil and Oprah haev a pretense that they're helping people. And so many people take their advice completely seriously.

Anyway, Ashley, I'm sorry it bothered you so much. Try n ot to let it get you down.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.