More threads by NicNak

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Patrick Swayze Dies at 57
"Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost" Star Succumbed to Pancreatic Cancer following Two-Year Battle.
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 14, 2009

(CBS/AP) Patrick Swayze has died after a nearly two-year battle with pancreatic cancer. Swayze's publicist Annett Wolf says the 57-year-old "Dirty Dancing" actor died Monday with family at his side. He came forward about his illness last spring, but continued working as he underwent treatments.

It was 1987 when Swayze became a star with his performance in "Dirty Dancing," a coming-of-age story set in a Catskills resort. The 1990 film "Ghost" cemented his status as a screen favorite.

Swayze played a murdered man trying to communicate with his fiancee through a spirit played by Whoopi Goldberg.

He kept on working even after it was disclosed in March 2008 that he had a particularly deadly form of cancer. He starred in "The Beast," an A&E drama series, and said he and his wife were working on a memoir.

Critics said Swayze was erratic in his choice of roles, reports CBS Radio's Karyn Regal. He said true actors needed to take chances.

Swayze also didn't want his head to swell over being declared People Magazine's "sexiest man alive" in 1991 - a title earned after his erotic pottery scene in "Ghost," Regal reports. But for many of his fans, that's the image that will live on.

Last edited:

Jazzey

Account Closed
I saw that in the news today. Very sad news. He was incredibly talented. Having grown up in the 80's, he's a solid fixture in my memories of my teenage years. May he rest in peace now.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I know, it was sad to hear tonight this. I had a huge poster of him, infact I think I still have it up on the back of my bedroom door.

He faught a good fight, when I saw the interview he did with Barbara Walters he had such a postive attitude through it all.

I wish him peace too.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Sometimes, none of this seems fair. I considered him a young person, full of aspirations and youth...As the years go on, my own youth is quietly swept away when I see this kind of talent leaving us. Ok, that may be the selfish perspective. :)

It's like the "last lecture" by Randy Pausch. I never tire of it, but I cry every single time - now there's someone who understood the meaning of this lifetime...:)

YouTube - Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams He also died of pancreatic cancer.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.