More threads by shanarino

shanarino

Anyone else suffering from the "baby blues" or Post-partum depression?? I could greatly use a friend who is going through the same thing.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Of course I can't say I've ever suffered from that, shanarino, but I wanted to welcome you to PsychLinks Online. I've no doubt that other members who have experienced post-partum depression will have some experiences to share when they find this thread.

Kanadiana

shanarino said:
Anyone else suffering from the "baby blues" or Post-partum depression?? I could greatly use a friend who is going through the same thing.

Hi ... I went through pretty poweful post-partum depressions after births ... I went to a counsellor, plus to "post-partum support groups", and they helped a lot. I know there are a lot of support forums online for this if you do a google search.

Also, you might want to ask your Doc for referrals to a post-partum counsellor, or to some ongoing postpartum support groups that may be in your local area.

I know its hard to go through this ... don't give up until you find the support you need ...

Take care!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Have you been to see a doictor about this, Skye? And did you experience anxiety or panic before the pregnancy?

If not, you could be hyperthyroid - your doctor can determine this with a simple blood test.

skye

Hi I did have a throid blood test I was fine i found that I had a bit of anxiety when I was pregnat as I was sick the entire pregnacy I couldn't go into canadian tire or walmart the lights and smell of the stores made me dizzy..it was hard going any where in a vechile as it made me have motion sick. I just want to be my self again.Dr says im handling anxiety. I don't feel i am. my obyn thinks cousling and paxil will help.I tryed? celexa and had a bad reaction i don't think pills are the answer for me also i had quit smoking.not sure if my anxiety comes from that. Thanks for replying :help: 👋

Kanadiana

Hi Skye,

I haven't been in here for a long while and don't know if you'll be back to read it, but if so, I hope you found some help with your problems with the doc, and anxiety and stuff. Anxiety and panic attacks really do suck to go though ... I've been there for sure. In my case, i think my trouble was a combination of things, not just mental health issues, but physical and physiological as well.

Thinking of you and wishing you well ...

K.

skye

Hi..K
I am still having anxiety it's gotten alot better,I haven't been driving as i can't seem to by my self.I am ok if i'm with somebody.My baby will be 8 months old hope I am back to old self.The dr gave me ativan I have not taken any i am not a pill person.How long did your anxiety last? What did you do to controll it? I did see a therpist she thinks it will go away. and to try ativan...I'm sure mine are a combination of things, :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Skye, you went to see your doctor to get advice on your anxiety. S/he gave you something that will help with the anxiety. You're ignoring the doctor's advice. You're still experiencing anxiety, probably needlessly.

Perhaps it's time to go back and talk to the doctor about your concerns about the medications s/he prescribed.

Kanadiana

Hi Skye,

I tend to agree with David here regards the doc and his/her advice. I hate popping pills as well, always did, but sometimes a person needs a quick answer to anxiety if its messing with immediate life, health (sleeping/eating) and responsibilities like taking care of our kids, or the ability to do what we need to do each day etc

Every person and their situation is unique about what they're dealing with and what will work in their own cases for their own selves and lives. Sometimes its best just to take the pills and if you have any concerns about any meds the doc prescribes talk to him/her about them ... and also to your pharmacist. Doc would be monitoring how you're reacting to any meds too.

Bottom line is that if anxiety is messing with you and doing your life and what you need and want to be doing now, then pills really can help in the short run ... even if only until you've had more time to sort out if there are other things and approaches you could use that would help you. Point is, anxiety is a problem NOW and NOW is when to start dealing with it ;) I'd also be sure, if it were me, to get a complete and full physical examinations and labs workups in case anything might show up that could cause "anxiety" type feelings. If it were me, I'd take the pills to help relieve some of the immediate anxiety feelings, while sorting all this other stuff out ;)

I hope some of what I've said helps you feel a bit better about following your docs lead, or at least talking with him/her about all this? I hope I've helped.

K.

i suffered from post partum with my first and i think my third as well, however with my third we had major life changes besides her arrival so i don't know if her birth or the life changes caused my depression. the first time i did not do anything about it and it was horrible. i managed to get over it somehow. this second time it's been ongoing for 2 years with a break in the middle. but i consider it life events as the cause for the second one.

i guess my whole point is, don't go it alone and find others going through the same thing. this is a great first step to post on this forum. one thing i am facing is the endless guilt and sadness over not enjoying my children when they were babies. that is a major issue for me and i am currently trying to deal with with having lost all my time with my youngest. it kills me because she is my last and she just turned 2 and i just wasn't there to appreciate her. all i did was wish she was older because i couldn't handle taking care of her. i have lost so much. don't let this happen to you. get counseling, do what it takes, because you can never get those early years back.

if you have questions post them here. i will try to answer from my experiences.

skye

Hi..I went to a counselor and she thinks time will heal my anxiety attacks,We never have the same Dr as we are waiting for a long term Dr to stay in our town.I had such a bad reaction with Celexa, I'm terrified to take any pills I know it's childish, I use to be a social butterfly..It is a big change from the old me.i know I feel better when I'm busy I spend a lot of my day outside with my little one.I went from working a 9 hour day 6 days a week and having several house cleaning ,painting etc to doing nothing but throwing up and sleeping when i was pregnant.I tease my husband telling him I have brain mush..My daughter is a happy baby very content. I have waited a long time for her.I have a son that is 20.I have a lot of help from my husband and son. Thanks for listening and giving me advice. :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's your choice of course, Skye. On the other hand, a small dose of ativan is not going to have anything like the side effects you experienced with Celexa - they are entirely different medications. Celexa is an SSRI; Ativan is a mild tranquilizer. The most likely side effect for Ativan is that it may make you a little sleepy the first time or two that you take it.

What is the dose, do you know? I imagine it's 0.5 to 1.0 mg, which is a very low dose.

Your counselor may be right - it may subside on its own in time. However, in the meantime you may well be suffering needlessly.

foghlaim

Hi Skye: i just want to throw someting in here if that's ok.
if you are having panic attacks and anxiety attacks and trying to control them without meds.. while you are doing that, yyour lovely content baby may pick up on your nervousness.. babies do this very easily and can become upset because you are upset.
like david and Kanadiana and bbc have said.. the ativan will help, cause it will take the edge off the anxiety and so prevent a panic attack from happening in the first place.
Most ppl on this forum will tell you that we don't like taking pills for anything.. yet i realised after a lot of persuasion, that i did indeed need them for my anxiety and depression. (not post partum)

so take any help you are given on this skye..ok.

hope you are feeling better soon.

nsa

Kanadiana

Having a baby certainly changes a life and it's priorities doesn't it? :)

I imagine if it's been almost 20 years since you last gave birth, maybe it's just taken a bit more out of you and it takes longer to "spring back" as well ;) And congratulations on having a daughter! I had daughters (no sons) and I think I was way more stressed to raise a daughter than I would have been with a son (because of my history experiences I was very protective and always vigilant)

Take care ;)

K.

skye

Hi..my little one is sure busy,I am still having anxiety attacks, I am going to a therypst next week.I am not driving ,we went for a ride I had to pull over 3 times from having panic attack,I have been going into the grocery store with my hubby it is so hard not to run outside when my heart starts pounding.I had hoped that this was postpartum and it would pass,I guess it is getting better. I decided to try therapy again.I miss going out by my self,I need to get behind the wheel I feel trapped I guess.thanks for letting me vent..

hi skye, nice to hear an update from you. i am sorry to hear you're still having trouble with anxiety, but i am glad to hear you've decided to go back to therapy. things really can improve. take care and give your little one a big hug.

skye

Thank You Lady bug..My little one has lots of personality we are starting terrible twos early.LOL.she is very entertaining.I hope therapy helps.

Halo

Hi Skye,

I too am glad to hear from you and even more glad to hear that you are going back to therapy. I really hope that the anxiety/panic attacks improve.

Take care

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.