More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Sexual Abuse: A Survivor's Story
by Merely Me
Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My palms are sweating, my heart is beginning to pound, and I am already near tears. I have just written my first sentence and I am already having an emotionally difficult time in writing this post. I feel the subject is so important that I am willing to do this in hopes that I will help someone else who has been through this. This isn't some academic research article. I am writing this as a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.

Caution: This post may contain content which is an emotional trigger for others who suffer from PTSD and who have endured sexual abuse. So do proceed with caution and it may be good to have someone on hand you can talk to if you find yourself dealing with overwhelming emotions.

I am forty-four years old and my abuse took place when I was five years old. Although it has been more than several decades since this abuse took place, I still re-live the fear and terror of that time. I can remember details surrounding the abuse and my abuser with sparkling clarity. But I still cannot remember the actual traumatic events after all this time. I am finding that this gap in memory is not so uncommon and actually is part of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

My father had just died when I was four. Shortly after my father's death a friend of my father came to visit my mother and me on a frequent basis. This man would bring me expensive presents including a huge dollhouse with real lights. He always had gum and candy to give to me as well. He never came to our house without something to give to me. My mother in her grief and distraction allowed this "friend" to babysit me.

I have a memory of sitting on this man's lap and him chiding me that I wasn't my mother's little girl anymore, but his. And that is as far as the vision unfolds before my fear kicks in and my memories go no further. My memories pick up when I am talking to my mother and I am repeating words I have no understanding of their meaning. My mother looks at me in disgust and then panic. She wants to know where I have heard such words before. I tell her that our friend has told them to me. It is then that I am whisked away to the doctor.

I remember feeling confused and frightened during the examination. An overwhelming sense of shame comes over me as the doctor speaks privately to my mother. I don't understand why at the time but I feel dirty and bad as though I have done something terribly wrong. The next memory I have is my mother bringing me to a courtroom. In my disjointed memory, I see him. He is sitting with this back to me. Somehow aware of my presence, he slowly turns his head towards me. He smiles. And I feel pure fear.

Although it was the last time I physically saw this man, I continued to see him in flashbacks and nightmares many years later. As a matter of fact, I can still see him now.

My mother's reaction was extreme over protectiveness based in fear and paranoia.

Whenever there was a knock at the door she would hide me in a closet because it could be the "bad man." Over time I began to startle whenever someone came to the door or even when the phone rang. In my short lived life the bogeyman was kept real and alive. I developed phobias, had nightmares, and felt anxiety and fear every day of my young life. I hate this man for what he did to me and for what he took from me. He robbed me of my innocence and a childhood free from fear.

The human spirit is capable of unfathomable resilience. My childhood was filled with both physical and emotional trauma and yet here I am today to tell my tale. If I give anything to you today my fondest wish is to impart hope.

People and especially children live through all sorts of unimaginable things. And many survive. Survival and suffering seem to go hand in hand. Are we stronger for it? Perhaps. But I would gladly give up this strength for memories which don't involve fear. Even today, peace of mind is difficult to achieve. But it is not impossible. Life goes on and we must roll along with it.

How many people experience sexual abuse?
In an article by J. Douglas Bremner, M.D., entitled The Invisible Epidemic: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Memory, and the Brain, the author cites a statistic of sexual abuse as a cause for PTSD: "....a prime cause of PTSD is childhood sexual abuse. About 16% of American women (about 40 million) are sexually abused (including rape, attempted rape, or other form of molestation) before they reach their 18th birthday." And I have a feeling that this estimate is a low one. Many cases of sexual abuse go unreported.

How can sexual abuse lead to Post-traumatic Stress Disorder?
Sometimes we experience things which are so traumatic and stressful that physical changes to our brain can take place. According to the literature, PTSD sufferers can also suffer from impairments to the hippocampus which is important for learning and memory. It can also affect the medial prefrontal cortex which regulates our emotional reaction to both fear and stress. PTSD is not just a psychological thing. It also has a physical basis.

What are some of the signs and symptoms of PTSD?
According to Help Guide.org, some of the symptoms may include:

• Nightmares
  • Flashbacks of the event or the times surrounding the event as though one were re-living it.
  • Physical manifestations of the flight/fright response such as sweating, increased heart rate, hyperventilation, or nausea in reaction to any reminder of the event.
  • Feelings of great distress and depression.
  • Intrusive memories which you seemingly cannot control.
  • Failure to recall important details of the traumatic event.
  • Heightened startle responses.
  • Great anxiety and fear when discussing the traumatic event.
  • Sleep problems
  • A feeling of emotional numbness or inappropriate affect to talking about the trauma.
  • Difficulties with memory and concentration.
What can be done to help you get through this?
I cannot stress this enough but finding a skilled therapist or counselor is one of the best things you can do. You don't need to go through this alone. I found a wonderful therapist in my early twenties to help me. It was a difficult and painful process but I can honestly say that therapy does help with this.

There are also support groups for PTSD as well as sexual abuse where you can talk with others who have been through similar experiences. You are far from alone in this. There are many others who share your pain and have survived.

Here are some further resources :

Jazzey

Account Closed
I feel as though I could've written this article...Minus the prosecution of the abuser.

But I certainly relate to the symptoms of PTSD, and in particular my strong flight response, the nightmares, the lack of sleep, the intrusive thoughts.

But the 2 symptoms which cause me the greatest amount of distress:
Failure to recall important details of the traumatic event.
Because I want to make sure I'm not falsely accusing anyone of something so horrendous as this. And,

A feeling of emotional numbness or inappropriate affect to talking about the trauma.

And this one because I'm embarrassed about how detached I can be when discussing some of my memories.

Last edited:

Jazzey

Account Closed
I would think there are ITL. Of course, I'll let Dr. Baxter answer on this one but, I think we all experience PTSD differently.

For me, my diagnosis came from talking with my doctor and psychologist about some of the symptoms that I was experiencing. My psychologist asked me a series of questions and diagnosed me with PTSD a few weeks ago now. :)

I actually specifically came out and told my doctor and psychologist what I was struggling with...The intrusive thoughts, nightmares etc...More problematic for me was that all of these *things* inevitably led me back to suicidal thinking. And to be totally honest, I pestered both of them until they would listen to what was bothering me...:) I just couldn't live with some of the things I was thinking or feeling. I'm not convinced that in my situation either one of them would have turned their minds to it until I bugged them about it. Of course, neither one of them had the benefit of knowing about my childhood - something that I hadn't disclosed at the time...

Hope this helps a little.:) :heart:

Halo

ITL,

Here is the diagnostic criteria for PTSD.

Diagnostic Criteria for 309.81 Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

A. The person has been exposed to a traumatic event in which both of the following were present:

(1) the person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others
(2) the person's response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror. Note: In children, this may be expressed instead by disorganized or agitated behavior

B. The traumatic event is persistently reexperienced in one (or more) of the following ways:

(1) recurrent and intrusive distressing recollections of the event, including images, thoughts, or perceptions. Note: In young children, repetitive play may occur in which themes or aspects of the trauma are expressed.
(2) recurrent distressing dreams of the event. Note: In children, there may be frightening dreams without recognizable content.
(3) acting or feeling as if the traumatic event were recurring (includes a sense of reliving the experience, illusions, hallucinations, and dissociative flashback episodes, including those that occur on awakening or when intoxicated). Note: In young children, trauma-specific reenactment may occur.
(4) intense psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event
(5) physiological reactivity on exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event

C. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness (not present before the trauma), as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

(1) efforts to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations associated with the trauma
(2) efforts to avoid activities, places, or people that arouse recollections of the trauma
(3) inability to recall an important aspect of the trauma
(4) markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities
(5) feeling of detachment or estrangement from others
(6) restricted range of affect (e.g., unable to have loving feelings)
(7) sense of a foreshortened future (e.g., does not expect to have a career, marriage, children, or a normal life span)

D. Persistent symptoms of increased arousal (not present before the trauma), as indicated by two (or more) of the following:

(1) difficulty falling or staying asleep
(2) irritability or outbursts of anger
(3) difficulty concentrating
(4) hypervigilance
(5) exaggerated startle response

E. Duration of the disturbance (symptoms in Criteria B, C, and D) is more than 1 month.

F. The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Specify if:

Acute: if duration of symptoms is less than 3 months
Chronic: if duration of symptoms is 3 months or more

Specify if:

With Delayed Onset: if onset of symptoms is at least 6 months after the stressor

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.