More threads by presador

presador

hi i have an ODSP hearing coming up. im very nervous about it because this is my chance to get on it or not. i have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and agrophia features. i am 23 and i have had these issues since i was 19. im very curious of what are my chances to get on ODSP at this hearing? yes i know it depends on how i present myself but im looking for informative information. im going to update my files soon and should i ask to see the phyciatrist again? and what do i say if i go see him? do i tell him im updating my files and can you write that i have anixety and depression? also i need more ideas how my anxiety and depression effects me in public. i already get panic attacks and i get flustered in public. im not social. i dont hangout with anyone i stay inside all the time. i try to limit going out in pulic. even if its to the grocery store, i dont have motivation and doing simple things around the house seems like a job itself. i dont even see my family on a regular basis because im nervous around anyone. so what else can i say how my anxiety and depression effects? and what else can i say to my doctor for him to put in his notes? has anyone here gone to the odsp hearing? if so what can i expect?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: present myself for ODSP hearing?

Some related info about the overall process:
What you need for ODSP are

• clear and detailed documentation from a physician (and any psychologists you may have seen) of significant ongoing/chronic impairment of ability to work
  • clear and detailed documentation that you are doing everything possible to address your impairment
  • probably clear and detailed documentation that you have not declined some form of treatment likely to reduce or eliminate your impairment
If you are not taking medication for your condition, not in psychotherapy, and able to make progress in your educational program, in all likelihood that will be viewed as evidence of inelgibility for ODSP.

Your doctor is correct in a sense: ODSP is intended to help people with serious physical or mental disorders who are not able to work. It is not easy to meet the criteria for ODSP and that is by design.
I found this while searching the internet... thought it said alot about some of the problems people have when appying for ODSP. I don't know what improvements, if any, have taken place since this forum in 2002.

Access to ODSP Campaign - Ontario Disability Support Program - DAWN Ontario: DisAbled Women's Network Ontario

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

For anyone who plans to apply for ODSP, here's a great instructional webinar by CLEONet (Community Legal Education Ontario). It's over an hour long, but it does give some great tips on applying and what medical information you should have. Well worth watching. They have other resources on their site as well.

ODSP Disability Determination and Application | CLEONet Public Legal Education Webinars
The key is the extent of your disability or impairment of day-to-day functioning and ability to work, rather than diagnosis per se. And if your doctors consider you to be disabled under the ODSP criteria, the second thing is how well your doctors and therapists have documented your specific symptoms and limitations.

I've also heard that 50% figure cited but have no idea how accurate it is. I would say that in my experience the reason the denial rates are as high as they are is because many applications either are from people who really are not disabled (i.e., they could be working despite some limitations) or they don't have the proper documentation to allow approval.

If your disability is real and properly documented, you should have little or no difficulty.

Re: present myself for ODSP hearing?

Having someone with you does help a social worker or someone who can help you understand when you get anxious what the questions are asking for If allowed i would take someone with you to the hearing

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.