More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
[UK] Prisoners of stigma
July 22, 2008

Millions of people with mental illness are unable to do everyday things like going shopping, making new friends or applying for jobs, according to a survey conducted by the British mental health charity Rethink.

The survey of more than 3,000 people with mental disorders reveals that this includes people you expect to love you unconditionally, your family, (36%), closely followed by employers (35%), neighbors (31%), friends (25%) and family doctors (23%).

At the other end of the discriminators' league table, children (5%), teachers (8%), retailers (10%), and public transport workers (10%) are revealed as the groups who are most accepting of people with mental health problems.

Most discriminatory
  1. Immediate family = 36%
  2. Employers = 35%
  3. Neighbors/local community = 31%
  4. Friends = 25%
  5. Work colleagues = 23%
  6. General Practitioners/Primary Care doctors = 23%
  7. Wider family = 22%
  8. Young people (teenagers) = 21%
  9. Psychiatrists = 19%
  10. Benefit/social security agency staff = 18%
  11. Accident & Emergency staff = 17%
  12. Police = 17%
  13. Other health professionals = 14%
  14. Politicians and government officials = 13%
  15. Older people (past retirement age) = 12%
  16. Job centre plus staff = 12%
  17. Journalists = 12%
  18. Social workers = 12%
  19. Shopkeepers = 10%
  20. Staff working on public transport = 10%
  21. Mental health service users = 10%
  22. Housing staff = 9%
  23. Community psychiatric nurses = 9%
  24. Teachers = 8%
  25. Other sources = 8%
  26. Children 5-12 = 5%
Least discriminatory

The findings, which will shape a high-profile ?18 million mental health anti-stigma campaign, reveal that:

Nearly nine out of 10 people with mental health problems have been affected by stigma and discrimination, with two thirds saying they have stopped doing things because of the stigma they face. Stigma stops people with mental health problems from doing everyday things such as applying for jobs, making new friends, and going out to pubs and shops. It can even prevent people from reporting a crime.​
People with mental health problems want the anti-stigma campaign to target schools and the media to change attitudes and reduce prejudice.

Carers of people with mental health problems also stop doing things because of the stigma and discrimination that they face.

Paul Corry, Rethink's director of public affairs, says: "Our research clearly shows that stigma and discrimination are ruining people's lives. People with mental health problems have enough on their plates without facing additional pressure caused by other people's archaic and bigoted opinions.

Janey Antoniou, who has schizophrenia, recalls one example of the stigma she encountered: "I had a neighbor who used to run inside when she saw me because she had once seen me taken to the hospital by the police in my dressing gown. The fact that I'd walked down the road with a briefcase thousands of times seemed irrelevant."

"The Moving People anti-stigma campaign will lay firm foundations for ending mental health discrimination in the UK, but long term it is essential that the government ploughs hefty resources into tackling the problem, as has been done in Scotland and New Zealand. As an employer, the government could also lead by example and employ more people with mental health problems within its departments, and encourage other public sector bodies to do the same," said Mr Corry.

The 'Moving People' anti-stigma campaign will be launched in January 2009 with funding from the Big Lottery Fund and Comic Relief and will be evaluated by the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College, London.

Attachments

• MOVING_PEOPLE_stigma_shout.pdf
    289.3 KB · Views: 4

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
On the positive side, I'm using stigma to get out of jury duty/selection :)

But more seriously, I'm suprised psychiatrists were only 19 percent. And the employers seem almost as accepting as immediate family members? That doesn't say much for families.

i too am surprised at how low it is for psychiatrists, and also at the other professions (psychiatric nurses, social workers, etc.).

this really needs to be a part of their training. how are they supposed to help people when they don't understand or are afraid of these conditions?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
i too am surprised at how low it is for psychiatrists, and also at the other professions (psychiatric nurses, social workers, etc.).

this really needs to be a part of their training. how are they supposed to help people when they don't understand or are afraid of these conditions?

Lower numbers mean less discriminatory, less stigma. I'll edit the first post to make this more clear.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
So it's even worse than I thought concerning family members. From the attachment:

On family, workshop participants rated highest the statement: ‘They have lowered expectations of me; assuming I will achieve less, cope less well in specific situations etc.’ When asked what families should do differently, participants rated highest the statement: ‘Don’t make assumptions about me, label me or be embarrassed of me’.

I guess it's a balancing act because people with mental illness do generally achieve less, cope less well, etc. So the last sentence about labeling and embarrassment seems to be the real issue.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It reminds me of an old "joke" about a mental hospital patient where the punch line has the patient saying, "I may be crazy but I'm not stupid".

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What impresses me (again) is how accepting children are.

Does anyone remember the song from South Pacific by Rogers and Hammerstein titled You've Got To Be Carefully Taught?

You've got to be taught to hate and fear
You've got to be taught from year to year
It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made
And people whose skin is a different shade

You've got to be taught before it's too late
Before you are six or seven or eight
To hate all the people your relatives hate

This subject has always gotten to me. I wish there was more to be done about it. It is very disheartening to see Dr.'s and Psychiatrists even on that list, which means there are people out there being turned away our treated poorly due to it in the health care system. The family one does not surprise me, almost every person I have met with mental illness has had someone in their family (me included) who is not supportive, which in turn makes recovery harder.

Mike902

Why should kids not accept people with mental illnesses?
Most kids just want to be loved and to love others.
It's mainly when hitting adolescence that they lose that.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Why should kids not accept people with mental illnesses?
Most kids just want to be loved and to love others.
It's mainly when hitting adolescence that they lose that.

I could rephrase that as follows:

"Why should people not accept other people with mental illnesses?
Most people just want to be loved and to love others."

The question is what is it that distorts that basic human trait...

Mike902

True, but kids are more open minded than grownups are.
That is why they so easily believe in things that grownups wont believe.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.