More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Bruce Roney, President & CEO, Ottawa Humane Society
May 19, 2022

quebec-1-ontario-0.jpg

You may have heard that Quebec recently introduced some progressive changes to its Animal Welfare and Safety Act. If the legislation passes, some of the biggest and most long-standing animal welfare concerns will finally be addressed in that province.

Prong collars? Gone. Tail docking, ear cropping and declawing of cats? Gone. Gas chambers for euthanasia? Gone.

These are big and important steps forward. Prong collars are cruel and counterproductive. Cosmetic surgeries do nothing for the animal but cause pain. Declawing is actually amputation of a cat’s final digit. Don’t get me started on gas chambers. I’ve seen them used when I’ve visited other shelters. They are not humane for animals, or the staff who are forced to use them.

The legislation also limits breeders to owning 50 dogs or cats. Clearly this is too many. A smaller puppy mill is still a puppy mill, and 50 dogs can produce a lot of puppies. Most operations are one or two people — not sufficient to feed and care for that many animals, much less socialize them to become happy safe family pets.

So, while there are flaws in the Quebec legislation, we in Ontario shouldn’t be too smug. Ontario’s animals have none of these protections, and it’s time we start demanding them.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I am City the Kitty and I’m 100% against declawing. I’m here to announce that I do NOT condone REAL cyber bullying, harassing, threatening, or attacking anyone, not even veterinarians who declaw or who declaw kitties on ALL 4 paws. Of course I don’t, so why am I bringing this up?

It has been reported by a very large veterinary association, a semi-famous veterinarian, and a couple of the Americas Favorite Veterinarian Contest Contestants, that they are victims of “cyber bullying” because animal advocates don’t like veterinarians performing unethical practices.

I think that they are irresponsibly using this catch term for the clever, yet twisted technique of taking the focus off their unethical practices like declawing, and are putting the focus on themselves as victims.

“Poor us, we maim innocent kitties and we don’t want to be called out for it.” I think they even have tiny violins playing. At least that has been my experience. One smart person called it a Whinefest, but I’ll be more politically correct...

They want you to believe there is a silent epidemic of cyber bullying in veterinary medicine.(I reached out to over 60 vet practices in America and couldn’t find 1 that said they had been a victim of cyber bullying)

I think the only silent epidemic that is going on is spinelessness among veterinarians who declaw who won’t question a mutilating procedure that they perform.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The animal hospital I go to allows declawing of cats!

Prescott Animal Hospital. This is an AAHA Animal Hospital & 2014 AAHA Practice of the Year. The employee said a few of their vets do declaws including Dr Dow. They recommend doing the declaw before the cat turns 1 year old because the bone plates aren’t fully grown so it’s easier on the cat.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.