More threads by Freckles

Freckles

Because my Prozac prescription was written by my OB during pregnancy I've been having to call the midwife's nurse to get a refill. I called every day this week and no one would call back. So this lead to me being off the Prozac for several days.

I had already been yo-yo-ing the medicine because I kept forgetting to take it having a newborn. So on and off, from eight months along to six weeks postpartum, my baby has been getting some form of it I guess in my blood stream or in my milk.

He is very irritable, cries all the time (we've tried colic and reflux meds) and I find that I am also very "cry on the drop of a dime", "moody" and even having thoughts of harming others. (I have not hurt anyone but I feel like this may be medicine related. I never have these thoughts. The only time I did have them in my adult life was when I was given Lexapro. It did NOT agree with me.) So this is new.

Is my baby going through withdrawal of Prozac perhaps?? Regardless of my forgetfulness, my OB said I could take it as needed but that doesn't seem logical. From what I've read it is something that needs to build up in your system.

Could I also be going through withdrawal or is the off and on yo-yo method of taking this making me worse possibly?

Many thanks guys . . .:thankyou2::thankyou2::

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The bottom line on taking psychotropic medications during pregnancy or while nursing is still somewhat uncertain. On the one hand, most physicians seem to recommend not taking any medications that are not absolutely necessary because it is uncertain how they may affect the developing foetus and newborn. On the other hand, the stresses of untreated depression and anxiety also unbdoubtedly affect the developing baby and may put both baby and mother at risk. Trying to balance these two risks in the absence of long term data is tricky at best. I would suggest that it's best to follow your doctor's advice on this issue.

Prozac has a very long half-life so even being off it for several days would mean that the levels of the medication in your system have been falling only very gradually. That said, after several days, it's not surprising that you are feeling anxious and moody. Perhaps you can let the nurse know that your situation is urgent and if you don't hear back within the next day or two call the doctor.

As for the worrisome thoughts, this may well be a post-partum reaction related to your OCD and this is something that you really should consult your doctors about. Often such thoughts are not really about harming anyone but rather OCD worrying about harm coming to loved ones and feeling heightened responsibility for their care and safety. We hear a lot about post-partum depression but post-partum anxiety and OCD reactions are also more common than many people realize.

Freckles

Thank you so much for the in depth reply, Doctor. It really gave me a sense of peace especially about the thoughts of harming others. I never knew that post partum could lead to a change in OCD and anixety or even onset it. That's interesting. The only thing I'd ever heard of was post partum depression and since I've suffered from both depression at one time and have lived with anxiety, post traumatic stress and OCD for a good part of my life I never really thought post partum depression completely "fit". So you just made my day! :) It's nice to have a little light shed on things. And makes me feel even better to know that the added anxiety is probably coming from the yo-yo effect of the medicine.

I called my pharmacy yesterday and they helped me to get a refill. I feel much better now that I'm back on the medication.

I've been waiting on the OB to get the appt because my insurance will only cover it if referred. It's been quite sometime and I keep reminding the nurse but maybe I need to ask my OB at the six week checkup once more. Maybe they will be able to help me learn to deal with things without medicine or perhaps help me to understand at least that the benefit outweighs the risk.

Many thanks and God bless!!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.