More threads by David Baxter PhD

Retired

Having known many psychiatrists through my work, I found this illustration of the profession to accurately portray not only the perceptions of many people but also the concerns and reactions psychiatrists hear from people about them and what they do.

Funny enough, as is mentioned in the video, one of the most common reactions to psychiatry I heard psychiatrists say is that many people, including other doctors, think a psychiatrist knows what you're thinking!!:rolleyes:

locrian

As medical advances and disease prevention increase the lifespan, the elderly are faced with greater challenges to their mental and emotional health. Unfortunately, Alzheimers and other forms of dementia are affecting those who manage to reach a ripe old age. I predict a sizable increase in the demand for psychiatrists who specialize in gerontology.

Another challenge is getting more individuals to recognize their own mental illness. For example, one of my aunts died about two years ago of advanced cancer. She hadn't been to a doctor in well over a decade and had lived as a shut-in for many years. The only way that her brother (my dad) could visit her was to drop in unnanounced (he managed to do this only once). I liken this to the naked emperor who parades down the road, completely unaware of his lack of clothing while everyone stares and gasps.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.