More threads by dave83

dave83

Does anyone on this forum have psychosis or know anyone with psychosis? Does anyone know any way to help to get rid of it without the use of drugs?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes, there are several members here who are well acquainted with a psychotic illness either personally, or professionally, or through someone close to them.

John Nash (A Beautiful Mind) notwithstanding, no you cannot get rid of psychosis without the use of medication. Mr. Nash was and is a unique individual with an extraordinary mind, and even he did not "get rid of" his psychotic symptoms - he merely learned to challenge them and/or push them away, and most people would be incapable of doing that.

ThatLady

I know of no case of psychosis, dave, that can be "gotten rid of" without professional counselling and the right medications taken as directed. There isn't any magic wand, and there isn't any easy way, darn it! I wish there were! :hug:

ThatLady

Shock therapy isn't a first line treatment, dave. It's more a treatment of last resort, when other treatments don't work, or when the patient cannot tolerate other treatment regimens. It's not a cure-all, believe me. Much better to find a good therapist and a medication, or combination of medications that works well and doesn't result in intractable side-effects. :)

I have had psychotic illness for several years and could not possibly manage without both medicine and therapy. Even with both, it's a struggle, but with the right medicine I am able to work, albeit with certain limitations. I think part of the key is learning (and the therapist helps me with this) what my symptoms are and limitations so that I can better care for myself.

Miette

I have been through two episodes, one that resolved without drugs, and one that was treated, just recently. I will always treat it from now on because the drugs worked so quickly and effectively, my thoughts basically are: why torture yourself if you don't need to?

Similar threads

https://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/April-2019/CBT-for-Psychosis-Approaches-Families-Can-Use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is gradually becoming recognized and available as a psychological approach to mental health problems. But what exactly is it? Well, CBT works with thoughts (cognitions) and behaviors to help with mental health problems. It’s becoming increasingly famous, particularly for teaching people what they can do to improve depression and anxiety. But it’s also being used...
Replies
Views
Gratitude: My Journey from Psychosis to Health by Meg LeDuc, bpHope January 22, 2018 My medication non-compliance led to a devastating psychotic break in 2015. But through family intervention and a return to compliance, I am now healthy, employed, and advocating for others. Here?s what I?ve learned. In 2013, fed up with weight gain as a side effect, I decided to stop taking a key medication to treat my bipolar disorder. I notified my psychiatrist, and she tried to find me a...
Replies
Views
What is Psychosis? Early Psychosis Intervention Retrieved Nov 5, 2017 Symptoms of Psychosis Psychosis includes a range of symptoms that affect an individual's thoughts, feelings, and behaviours. Symptoms of psychosis are typically divided into two categories: "positive" and "negative" symptoms. "Positive" symptoms are changes in thoughts and feelings that are "added on" to a person's experiences (e.g., paranoia or hearing voices). "Negative" symptoms are things that are "taken away" or...
Replies
Views
What?s the difference between psychosis and schizophrenia? Here to Help Sept 14, 2017 Psychosis is a syndrome or group of symptoms. Someone experiencing an episode of psychosis is having a ?break? with reality. Major symptoms of psychosis are hallucinations and delusions. Hallucinations are sensations that are not real, such as hearing voices or sounds that aren?t real. Hearing voices is a common hallucination, but hallucinations can be experiences with any sense?hearing, sight, smell...
Replies
Views
Eating Disorders and Psychosis By Mary V. Seeman, MD April 29, 2016 While treating women with psychotic illness, I noticed that many of my patients, in addition to their psychosis, had eating disorders (anorexia and binge eating) and I wondered whether my prescription of antipsychotic drugs was responsible. I knew that these drugs led to increased appetite and weight gain, which could provoke a counter reaction, ie, a drive to be thin. The neuroscientist and author Erin Hawkes?who was...
Replies
Views