More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Psychotherapists With Tidy Offices Seen as More Competent
The Doctor's Lounge
June 10, 2011

Decor seems to influence people's perception of quality of care, study finds

People seem to base their opinion of a psychotherapist's abilities on the appearance of their office, research suggests.

The study included 242 college students who were shown photographs of offices belonging to actual psychotherapists in Manhattan. After viewing the photos, the participants gave higher marks for quality and qualifications to psychotherapists whose offices were neat and orderly, featured personal elements such as framed photos and diplomas, and were decorated with soft items such as pillows and throw rugs.

There were no differences in results between people who had seen a therapist and those who hadn't, men and women, people of different ages, or people from small towns or large cities. This suggests that the findings apply across the general population, the Ohio State University researchers said.

"People seem to agree on what the office of a good therapist would look like and, especially, what it wouldn't look like," study co-author Jack Nasar, a professor of city and regional planning, said in a university news release.

"Whether it is through cultural learning or something else, people think they can judge therapists just based on their office environment," he added.

"The top-rated offices also pointed to the importance of softness and order," Nasar said. "For the top five offices, participants most frequently described the office as comfortable, nice, clean, warm and inviting." The words used to describe the offices at the bottom of the rating scale were "cluttered," "cramped," "messy," "uncomfortable" and "unprofessional," he noted.

"These results suggest that someone visiting a therapist in a low-rated office for the first time may not want to come back," he explained. "I would tell therapists to keep their offices soft and friendly looking. Put up your diplomas and personalize the office. Arrange everything in a neat and orderly way and keep it that way."

The study was released online in advance of publication in an upcoming print issue of the Journal of Counseling Psychology.

Brrr.... that makes me and quite a few of our friends and colleagues bad shrinks! Though we have good or even excellent results, I for instance am sitting with my patients on my terrace amongst lots of flowers and plants, sometimes feet on the table and nobody has ever complained. On the contrary, all of them up to now - meaning about 30 years - felt it relaxing to sit and have a coffee or tea while talking...

Jazzey

Account Closed
And some of us have been to some therapists who've had the tidiest "Martha Stewart" offices, and still had the good sense to know they weren't good therapists (by some of their practices). ;)

I think this type of research could apply to anyone in the professional realm. At the end of the day, I'm not convinced it hold much stock. IMO.

...Unless maybe you're in there because you're a hoarder...and the therapist looks like maybe he/she may be a hoarder - then run. :D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.