More threads by Peanut

i think it has something to do with superstition.. that if you say good luck, that it would cause bad luck. so instead, saying "break a leg" is supposed to ward off the bad luck :)

so indeed peanut, break a leg! :D

Peanut

OK, I did it!!! It was a little bit of a disaster but it's over. I initially forgot to start the slide show, I read for almost the whole time, and my voice was shaking really bad the entire time! During the question and answer phase one person questioned the study and my professor jumped to my defense immediately and defended the proposal. He also sent me this email:
Excellent job on your presentation! I am very proud
of you for going through with the presentation in spite of your
anxiety. Your presentation was clear, compelling, and interesting.
Furthermore, you answered the questions well. Your presentation grade
is an A. Keep up the good work

So overall it was a success and I was really glad he was proud of me!

On the other hand, I CANNOT understand why I am still so anxious about presentations. I have been through a speech class, took 2 mg of ativan, am on other anxiety meds, been through over a year of therapy for anxiety, tried my hand at leading a support group to get better at this. It seems like NOTHING helps! It's crazy!

But it's over and I didn't break my leg and now I guess it's time to laugh at my horrendously bad presentation with my good slides that I eventually turned on!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
See Professor Susan Mineka at Northwestern.

I will never forget her first talk at the Eastern Psychological Association annual convention in Boston - since it was also my first talk and she spoke right before me. She was visibly shaking, voice quivering and quaking, the whole works. I was more nervous about my talk after hearing and watching her than I was before entering the room, and it didn't go all that well for me either. The best I can say is that she was worse than me...

At the time, she was a graduate student at the University of Pennsylvania under Martin Seligman; I was also a grad student, at Queen's University.

Clearly it didn't hold her back in her career. :)

It didn't hold me back either. :eek:

We all start somewhere. And we're all nervous in the beginning.

ladylore

Account Closed
Very cool Peanut:2thumbs: Congrats on the A - you deserved it. :happy:

Reading this thread again brought back a memory of one of my televion interviews. A book had just been released on violence against persons with disabilities - specifically on institutional abuse. Since I was the spokesperson for an organization I was involved with at the time I was asked to do an interview with Breakfast Television.

I went in - 6am for the interview, and for some reason I was extremely nervous that day. The interviewer asked me about some stats and one of the statistics was on the prevalance of violence against women with disabilities. The stat was a woman with a disability had a 10x great chance of being abused by the time she was 18 then a non-disabled woman.

What came out of my mouth was a woman with a disability has a 10x greater change of having a disability by the time she is 18, then a non-disabled woman.

I didn't realise what I had said until a week later when I was watching the tape.:hide: I rarely did interviews after that and never did them that early in the morning.

:hug:

Retired

Good news, Peanut! Congratulations. After this initiation, you will find future presentations to be easier.

Everybody gets nervous before a presentation; but as has been said, there are things you can do to control the jitters, and not letting the nevousness control you.

begonia

Congrats. When people talk about being afraid of public speaking, I always remember this survey I heard about where people said public speaking was their worst fear and death was number two!

You must have done fine. Otherwise your professor would not have been so enthusiastic in the evaluation.

Peanut

Thank you all! It seriously meant a lot to have somewhere to run when I felt like I was going to be sick before the presentation. That is really interesting about that psychologist specializing in anxiety being so nervous. I always wondered about that...anxious people specializing in anxiety. I think that would be very cool and meaningful.

That is also a really, really funny story about the disability quote! That cracked me up.

I am so grateful it's over and I do know everyone gets nervous and it sounds like maybe there is hope for me yet, but I'm just thinking there might be a distinction between severe anxiety territory and normal person anxiety. I was clearly far and away the most anxious person in the class and was physically ill before hand. But I think I understand as I'm writing this, the gist of what you're saying is that just means I might have to work a little harder. Plus, I guess I have to remember that it isn't ALWAYS this intense. For some particular reason I just did not want to do it this time and didn't feel capable of handling it. But it was cool to get all your support and the teacher emailed me again and said I made his day that day because I did it and did it well so that meant a lot even though I know he was being kind and putting it in the context of my EXTREME fear. I am really going to miss this professor! Afterward I felt a little traumatized and not as relieved as I thought I would. It took my stomach a while to recover and I still feel pretty jumpy and nervous. But thank you all and after finals this week will be a month of just work so it should be slightly more relaxing.

Again, I can't thank you enough for giving me somewhere to go when I was panicking.

Halo

Peanut, I am glad that we could be here to help you relieve some of your anxiety before your presentation. That's what Psychlinks is all about...being here to help each other in a time of need :friends: :hug:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.