More threads by Drew

Drew

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking this great place for a few months now, and I'd like to belatedly tip my toe into the pool and introduce myself to you all before I get too pathetically delinquent. :)

My name is Drew, and I'm a practicing licensed independent clinical social worker in the U.S. I work full-time as a school social worker in a large, public urban middle school of 1200 students, and I serve clients part-time as an individual and family therapist at a community outpatient mental health clinic, where I split my time between outreach and clinic-based work.

One thing I love about clinical social work is the amount of variety inherent in the profession. I've always hesitated to claim a particular specialty (more to do with my personality than I'd like to admit, I think), and I've always maintained a wide variety of clients in my caseload, but when I'm honest with myself and look at my professional experience, I suppose I'd have to say that the majority of my work has been focused on adolescents - more specifically, those presenting with oppositional-defiant/conduct disordered behaviors.

I enjoy the variety in clients and presenting problems that I get to work with in the large regular-ed environment. Before I began working full-time at the school, I carried a full caseload at the outpatient agency, and the vast majority of my clients were ODD/CD boys - in no large part due to the fact that there are plenty out there and very few male clinicians to work with them, so I was happy to oblige. I used to carry a caseload of anywhere between 30-40 (not all weekly clients, obviously), and I think the greatest number of females I ever had at one time was 5.

My next professional steps will be to begin doing emergency screening work for a local mobile crisis team, and begin the credentialing application processes to test the waters of doing true private practice work.

I think this forum and community is phenomenal, and I've already taken much more advantage of its resources than I have contributed. Specifically, I've downloaded some excellent coping strategy resources for clients that have come in very handy (and appreciated - no less...thanks Dr. Dave!) I look forward to contributing from time to time and learning from all of you - I especially respect and am humbled by those of you who come here to share your own personal struggles and experiences coping with your challenges - I learn a great deal from you all. :wave4:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Belatedly welcoming you, Drew, in response to your belated introduction. :D

(although I don't know if you can call an intro that took 6 months to write a "quickie intro")

Drew

Welcome to Psychlinks, Drew and thanks for joining the Forum. We'll be looking forward to your participation.
Thank you much, Steve. Nice photo! Could have come straight out of a 'fly fishing in style' article, and I'd have been none the wiser.

Yuray

You call that a quickie intro? What on earth would a long one entail?:)
Drew said:
Nice photo! Could have come straight out of a 'fly fishing in style' article
You know...................He's right! Kudo's to Steve!

CarlaMarie

So Drew you enjoy working with adolescents. Opositional-defient disorder I find that interesting. That is not a segmant of the population many people choose to work in. They are our future criminals. What kinds of interventions do you do? Do you work with just the children or the families too? If I am being too nosey let me know.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.