More threads by Retired

Retired

Further to the issue I described on Psychlinks, here: http://forum.psychlinks.ca/computer...0-uninstall-causes-optical-drive-problem.html, because I have iTunes installed, I've discovered the damage done by the uninstallation of Norton 360 to be more extensive than just making the optical drive disappear.

Because both Norton 360 and iTunes use Gear Drivers* to communicate with the optical drive, and after trying numerous solutions provided by Apple Knowledge Base**, the problem continues and I'm running out of fixes to try.

*Reference:
Here and Here

**Reference:
iTunes for Windows: "Registry settings" warning when opening iTunes

If I add the UpperFilters reference into the registry as Apple suggests, then I lose the drive in Windows Explorer and iTunes does not see the drive. The Microsoft FixIt tool removes the UpperFilters reference, making the optical drive visible in Windows Explorer but iTunes does not see the drive.

I've succeeded in restoring the optical drive to my system using the Microsoft Fix-It tool, but iTunes still does not see the optical drive for read nor write.

I'm thinking of re-installing the Gear driver according to these instructions (bottom of the page for Win7/64)

Additionally a discussion on the topic is taking place HERE (Compuserve Windows Support).

Anyone here have any suggestions, insights or experience to pass along that coupd point me in the right direction?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Also, try installing iolo's System Mechanic. I have that running on all my computers and it does a pretty good job of fixing registry errors. A big plus is that they recently changed their license so you can now install it on all computers in your family, instead of the previous limit of 3 computers.

Retired

try re-installing iTunes

If the installation of iTunes would work like most installations, it would probably solve the problem...or maybe the registry foul up is so elaborate it will take extraordinary measures.

I followed Apple instructions for a complete uninstall and re-installation, but that, unfortunately did not solve the problem.

Thanks for the tip about System Mechanic.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hmmm.... i would have done it differently but at this point try:

1. Uninstall iTunes.

2, Run System Mechanic to fix errors in the Registry.

3. Make sure Windows still recognizes the drive. If not, rerun the MS FixIt script.

4. THEN reinstall iTunes.

Retired

I've installed the "evaluation" version of System Mechanic and the first run of registry repairs didn't help.
I'll try your suggestion next.

This looks like it might be a long term project; but at some point I'll bit the bullet and revert the computer to factory delivery mode and re set up the system.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's not unusual for System Mechanic if the registry is trashed. It may take several runs and rescans to sort it out.

I should have asked before: I assume you tried a System Restore to a date where everything was working?

Retired

I was going to, David, but System Restore reported it could not run. Could be some corrupted material that System Restore doesn't like.

However, I do have backups going back to that period, and if there has been a system backup (using Windows Backup Utility) should I be able to restore the registry to a former version? What is the danger in doing that?

The frustration is I make it a priority to run a clean machine, doing all maintenance, updates etc and an unexpected (until now, trusted) software removal has caused a problem.

I'll be testing other operations of the optical drive tomorrow, such as video playback and a few different burn operations I haven't had a chance to do yet to see if other programs are still communicating with the drive..

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't know if Windows Backup backs up the registry. That's one of the benefits of System Mechanic... it does registry back ups and nags you every 2 weeks or so if you haven't done one recently.

Retired

In the instruction for removing then reinstalling the Gear Driver, a process that seems to have resolved the issue for many who have reported this on Apple Support Forums, they state: Note that the entries in this value are double byte as in:

Delete the following key from the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GearAspiWDM

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318} key remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{CE5939AE-EBDE-11D0-B181-0000F8753EC4} key remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

What does the statement mean and how does it affect, if at all, the deletion of the key?

This looks like it might be the most plausible solution, based on reports I've been reading and because the Norton 360 uninstall utility seems to target Gear Drivers in its cleanup.

niknet

Something else to try would be to use the Norton Removal Tool available from ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe. It will forcibly remove all software and registry entries made by Norton 360. Once that's complete download and run http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html and use it to remove iTunes. It will do a more complete removal than the normal uninstaller as it will scan for leftovers. Once completely removed attempt to re-install iTunes.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.