More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Researchers link caffeine, blood sugar spikes
CBC News
Monday, January 28, 2008

Daily caffeine consumption may cause blood sugar levels to spike in people with Type 2 diabetes, undermining efforts to control the disease, a study suggests.

In findings published in the February issue of Diabetes Care, researchers from Duke University Medical Center report, "caffeine exaggerates glucose and insulin responses to standardized carbohydrate loads in habitual coffee drinkers who have type 2 diabetes."

Dr. James Lane, the study's lead author, said this is the first time researchers have been able to track the effects of caffeine on patients in everyday life.

The study looked at 10 coffee drinkers with Type 2 diabetes who control their disease through diet, exercise and oral medications.

The five men and five women were given caffeine pills, equivalent to roughly four cups of coffee, to take with breakfast and lunch. Their blood sugar levels were monitored with a glucose sensor.

The researchers found that when the patients consumed caffeine, their average daily sugar levels went up eight per cent. Additionally, the caffeine exaggerated the rise in glucose after meals, boosting it by nine per cent after breakfast, 15 per cent after lunch and 26 per cent after dinner.

Daily caffeine consumption may cause blood sugar levels to spike in people with Type 2 diabetes, undermining efforts to control the disease, a study suggests.

In findings published in the February issue of Diabetes Care, researchers from Duke University Medical Center report, "caffeine exaggerates glucose and insulin responses to standardized carbohydrate loads in habitual coffee drinkers who have type 2 diabetes."

Dr. James Lane, the study's lead author, said this is the first time researchers have been able to track the effects of caffeine on patients in everyday life.

The study looked at 10 coffee drinkers with Type 2 diabetes who control their disease through diet, exercise and oral medications.

The five men and five women were given caffeine pills, equivalent to roughly four cups of coffee, to take with breakfast and lunch. Their blood sugar levels were monitored with a glucose sensor.

The researchers found that when the patients consumed caffeine, their average daily sugar levels went up eight per cent. Additionally, the caffeine exaggerated the rise in glucose after meals, boosting it by nine per cent after breakfast, 15 per cent after lunch and 26 per cent after dinner.

Continue Article

Lane said the research team was not sure why caffeine triggers a boost in blood sugar levels.

"It could be that caffeine interferes with the process that moves glucose from the blood and into muscle and other cells in the body where it is used for fuel," he said in a release. "It may also be that caffeine triggers the release of adrenaline ? the 'fight or flight' hormone that we know can also boost sugar levels."

The study said the research "raises concerns about the potential hazards of caffeinated beverages for patients with Type 2 diabetes" as consumption of tea, coffee or soft drinks could produce similar results.

The researchers said the blood sugar boost provided by caffeine could disrupt clinical efforts to control glucose levels and increase the risk of complications.

"Coffee is such a common drink in our society that we forget that it contains a very powerful drug ? caffeine. Our study suggests that one way to lower blood sugar is to simply quit drinking coffee, or any other caffeinated beverages. It may not be easy, but it doesn't cost a dime, and there are no side effects," Lane said.

ladylore

Account Closed
I don' t have diabetes but I am hypoglysemic. 2 cups of coffee a day for me and thats it - any more then that and I feel like a panic attack is about to happen.

lallieth

My brother advised me that I was having sugar spikes from coffee( he used to as well) and to eliminate it...and drink more water..it has worked,and I know even with decaf,if I drink too much I can have sugar spikes,particularly in the afternoon.

rosedragon

My effectiveness boosted by caffeine. Without a glass of coffee, I found most of my time wasted on wandering somewhere when I doing something I'm already feel lazy to do.. taking hours to complete a small task. It improve my concentration and stop my laziness. But maybe that connected with my low blood pressure tendency. There only one day in a week that I'm doing things enough fast and effective without coffee.

There are side effects like.. First, constant drinking without one two days stop will make a glass of coffee doesn't give any benefit to me, my brain will demands more, which I know it is bad.

Second, at random moments these coffee can cause me hyperactive and doesn't sleep for the entire day although concentration already drop to 10% (with this percentage of concentration, I'm unable to respond well to conversations or doing my article writing.. but I still able to read and learn things or playing games). The next day I will feel the urge to sleep over than 8 hours (12-24 hours.. depends on how much coffee I consume and how heavy are the mental activities I had done).

Third, mostly when I drink more caffeine than my daily basis(more coffee or strong one), at the end of its effect it will makes my mind feel weird and body feel like shaking inside.

ladylore

Account Closed
Third, mostly when I drink more caffeine than my daily basis(more coffee or strong one), at the end of its effect it will makes my mind feel weird and body feel like shaking inside.

I know what you mean Rosedragon. :D It's two cups a day for me and no more.

rosedragon

Good u can drink two cups.. two cups can make me weird.. =D but I think it is good too.. so I'm not overcaffeinated. I have a friend who drinks up to 5 glass a day.. she is scary.. =(

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I can't believe I didn't see this before:

A study with only 10 people is pretty hard to get excited about.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.