More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Restless Legs Syndrome
by Anne Thompson

(HealthDayNews) -- Restless legs syndrome is a movement disorder characterized by uncomfortable sensations in the legs. These sensations are worse while resting, sitting or lying down, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. The disorder often runs in families.

People with RLS describe the sensations as pulling, drawing, crawling, tingling, pins and needles, prickly and sometimes painful sensations that usually come with an overwhelming urge to move the legs. Sudden muscle jerks also may occur. Movement provides temporary relief from the discomfort.

Treatment for restless legs syndrome can include massage and cold compresses. Medications such as temazepam, levodopa/carbidopa, bromocriptine, pergolide mesylate, oxycodone, propoxyphene and codeine also can help relieve symptoms, but many of these medications have side effects. Some research suggests that correcting an iron deficiency may improve symptoms for some patients.

Restless legs syndrome is a lifelong condition and there is no cure. Symptoms, which could include severe insomnia, can worsen with age.

haunting

Really, no cure. That is not good news. I can get this soooo bad that it truly hurts. And its frustrating as you can't stop, like as if you are telling your legs to cut it out but they can't. I get so mad sometimes that I will kick off the blankets, put them back on, and do this about 10 times before giving up and crawling out of bed. I did not know that this is a common thing. I had mentioned it to one of my doctors and he said he knows about this. But did not give any ideas on how to deal with it. He did give me some kind of natural herb product though. He is my chiroprator. It does ease up for a long time then hits again. I don't get this every night by any means.

Haunting

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hmmm... I read a more recent article which I thought I had posted somewhere in the forums here about improvement of this syndrome with the use of medication. When I get a chance, I'll see if I can track it down.

haunting

Oh sorry. I did not see the other one. I can try to look for it. Do you remember if you had posted it here or in a different forum?

Thanks, Haunting

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's not the article I had in mind but good work, Janet -- there's a link there to the Restless Leg Syndrome foundation which may have more information.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.