More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Richard Dreyfuss on being bipolar
United Kingdom Press Association
Pctober 16, 2009

Richard Dreyfuss says it's taken half his life to understand having bipolar disorder.

The Academy Award-winning actor was speaking frankly on the red carpet before hosting the 2009 Voice Awards at Paramount Studios in Hollywood, aimed at promoting awareness and understanding of mental health issues.

"It took me half my lifetime. People should be more patient, empathic, sympathetic and not fear what they see in others," the Jaws star explained.

He added, "How bad has my condition been? It's been my best friend and my worst enemy, it's been more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and I can't see a difference between it and me. There is no difference."

The 61-year-old continued, "I have a problem with the whole phrase 'mental health problem'. I think mental health problems are mistreated children, lying to your wife and illegal wars - torture, that's a mental health problem. We should learn to understand something before we stigmatise it. I'd like to see more public figures talk honestly about anything. I'd like to see villains put in jail and heroes praised. I'd like to see some common sense brought back into public life, of which there is none!"

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.