More threads by Anna

Anna

Someone offered me some marijuana the other day. I said no thank you because I have heard that people with schizophrenia shouldn't smoke marijuana. I have been offered marijuana several times in my life and have always said no, even before being diagnosed with schizophrenia. My question is why is it such a bad thing for people with schizophrenia to smoke marijuana as opposed to those without schizophrenia. My brother has bipolar disorder and I am pretty sure it is not a coincidece that he had an episode of hypomania after smoking pot. I have heard marijuana and people with bipolar disorder don't mix either. I must admit I am curious to try it but don't think it's a good idea.

Anna

Someone offered me some marijuana the other day. I said no thank you because I have heard that people with schizophrenia shouldn't smoke marijuana. I have been offered marijuana several times in my life and have always said no, even before being diagnosed with schizophrenia. My question is why is it such a bad thing for people with schizophrenia to smoke marijuana as opposed to those without schizophrenia. My brother has bipolar disorder and I am pretty sure it is not a coincidece that he had an episode of hypomania after smoking pot. I have heard marijuana and people with bipolar disorder don't mix either. I must admit I am curious to try it but don't think it's a good idea.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It isn't a good idea. Truthfully, as much as the proponents of marijuana want to argue that it is organic, natural, and therefore safe, there are a lot of dangers for many people in heavy or long-term marijuana use. For certain others with vulnerable brain chemistry, it can be particularly disastrous and/or dangerous -- this would definitely include those with schizophrenia and at least some individuals with bipolar disorder.

Additionally, if you are taking medication to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia, marijuana may interact negatively with your medication.

There is also the very real problem of substances added to street marijuana, which include an almost unbelievable array of household chemicals and toxins.

My very strong advice, Anna, is not to take the chance. Your sanity and mental health is worth a great deal more than a momentary high.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It isn't a good idea. Truthfully, as much as the proponents of marijuana want to argue that it is organic, natural, and therefore safe, there are a lot of dangers for many people in heavy or long-term marijuana use. For certain others with vulnerable brain chemistry, it can be particularly disastrous and/or dangerous -- this would definitely include those with schizophrenia and at least some individuals with bipolar disorder.

Additionally, if you are taking medication to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia, marijuana may interact negatively with your medication.

There is also the very real problem of substances added to street marijuana, which include an almost unbelievable array of household chemicals and toxins.

My very strong advice, Anna, is not to take the chance. Your sanity and mental health is worth a great deal more than a momentary high.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
More advice along the same lines:

Do not use even small amounts of cannabis if you have a family history of mental illness, have had an episode of paranoid thinking or hearing voices or had a bad response when first using cannabis or when using a small amount.

Street Drugs Increase the Risk of Developing Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com

Cannabis is not risk free. We have known for years that using cannabis makes the symptoms of schizophrenia far worse in people who already have the illness.

Cannabis raises risk of psychosis - BBC News

There are more articles on marijuana & schizophrenia at Schizophrenia.com.

Personally, my family is convinced that my brother's pot use starting at age 13 is partly the reason he had some psychotic episodes last year at the age of 25.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
More advice along the same lines:

Do not use even small amounts of cannabis if you have a family history of mental illness, have had an episode of paranoid thinking or hearing voices or had a bad response when first using cannabis or when using a small amount.

Street Drugs Increase the Risk of Developing Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia.com

Cannabis is not risk free. We have known for years that using cannabis makes the symptoms of schizophrenia far worse in people who already have the illness.

Cannabis raises risk of psychosis - BBC News

There are more articles on marijuana & schizophrenia at Schizophrenia.com.

Personally, my family is convinced that my brother's pot use starting at age 13 is partly the reason he had some psychotic episodes last year at the age of 25.

bowoo

schizophrenia and pot

My mother is schizophrenic , bipolar and has abused drugs for 35 years. I can honestly say from seeing where her life went i just don't think it would be a good
combo. Also you sound too smart !

bowoo

schizophrenia and pot

My mother is schizophrenic , bipolar and has abused drugs for 35 years. I can honestly say from seeing where her life went i just don't think it would be a good
combo. Also you sound too smart !

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.