More threads by Karri

Karri

It's been some time since I visited or posted. I've been consumed with my daughter's treatment and day to day management. It has been nearly 3 years now since our story began with her first psychotic episode. My daughter is now 21 and continues to battle psychosis, anxiety and depression without any definitive diagnosis. She has had 3 hospitalizations, the first 2 in the psych unit of our area hospital with about a 10 to 11 day stay each time. This last hospitalization commenced with her taking approximately 170 aspirin, spending 5days in ICU and then court ordered transfer to the "state" psychiatric hospital. She did well while there but quickly decompensated upon returning home. She has been on Risperdal steadily for the past 2 and a half years with trials of Invega, Latuda and Fanapt, all of which were ineffective. She was never entirely off the Rispderal with each of those trials. The state hospital initiated Abilify at 10mg daily and we quickly saw improvements. Her thinking cleared, she exhibited insight into her condition, she even began to make plans for the future. She was there for 3 weeks when they initiated discharge. The day of discharge I knew as soon as I walked onto the unit that she was deteriorating. I had concerns 2 days prior due to comments she made during a telephone conversation. I had relayed these to the social worker who called me regarding discharge plans but they were overlooked.

She saw her home psychiatrist within a week of discharge. Her psychiatrist increased the Abilify to 30mg daily but there has been little response. We never received a discharge diagnosis, all the diagnosis were on admission and considered rule out. They included schizophrenia, schizoaffective, bipolar, and episodic mood disorder. Her psychologist while home has firmly stated that he feels she is schizophrenic. Her psychiatrist does not. She has tossed around bipolar disorder but also borderline personality disorder. She has expressed the opinion that some of my daughter's symptoms are exaggerated. She stated to me, and I do agree with her, that she finds it hard to believe the state hospital would discharge her in this condition and on only 10mg of Abilify with this severity of psychosis. She had stated to me, prior to her hospitalization in the state hospital, that there was no way my daughter could have continued to experience psychosis while taking 8mg of Risperdal daily and not experience any serious side effects. If you don't consider an almost 100 pound weight gain a serious side effect. She insists that my daughter was not taking her medications. My husband and I give them to her daily and make sure she swallows them. We believe she was taking them, if she were not then she was very adept at hiding it. The condition she has been in mentally for the past several months make it very difficult to believe she could have managed that.

Her psychiatrist and psychologist are both with the same agency. The psychologist has become very upset with her psychiatrist because she does not seem to recognize the psychosis. He was also very upset when she mentioned the borderline personality disorder. He stated that that diagnosis should never have been mentioned and was essentially saying she was untreatable. I have read from several posts here and several other sources the symptoms and definition of borderline personality disorder. I honestly do not see how it fits my daughter. I see how she is when experiencing psychosis. It is not "faked". She is clearly disconnected, disorganized, hallucinating and extremely delusional. She also has periods that I describe as manic like. She goes for long periods, 24 to 48 hours without sleeping, she is more energetic, talks rapidly and is giddy like, giggling and laughing almost constantly. But, oddly enough, she can also become quite clear for short periods of time, carry on a conversation with us or others, be pretty much reality oriented and then shortly after fully psychotic again. It is enormously frustrating. So I can understand why her psychiatrist does not always understand why we feel her condition is so severe. She often presents clear headed in front of the doctor or at least semi clear. The psychiatrist has also stated that her affect does not match her words and for appearing as severely psychotic as she does, she engages, makes eye contact and does not exhibit any fearfulness. She stated to me that a patient this severely psychotic would be afraid. My daughter is at times very fearful and paranoid but then at other times she appears happy.

I realize this somewhat rambles but I am trying to present a picture of how my daughter is much of the time. She knows who we are and will respond to us appropriately but has also questioned me on 3 or 4 ocassions as to who I was or accused me of being someone else. She has left the house in the middle of the night resulting in us putting alarms on the doors. She does not have a driver's license and has taken the car and just left. We now have to keep the car keys hidden. We also of course keep all medications out of her reach. We have even hidden the knives. She admits to hearing voices "all of the time" but most of the time these voices are the voices of people she knows. Therefore she believes she is talking to them in her mind and that all of us can do the same. She becomes angry with my husband and I when we tell her no we can not talk to other people in our heads. She accuses of lying stating she knows everyone can do it. Many of her delusions focus on rape, that she is being raped or someone she knows is being raped. She has told me that she actually feels the sensation of being raped. I do believe she has had visual hallucinations as well but they are not as frequent. She can have grandiose delusions at times believing she is a writer, a rapper, or a producer. She has also told me at times of reality based thinking that she thought she was going to school and had a job the past few months. She does exhibit symptoms of personal care neglect. She has poor social skills at times but at others can be very sociable and function normally with others. I've read and reread medical literature from multiple sources regarding all of the above diagnosis. I honestly do not care what "it" is. I just want to know the best way to treat her. So, my questions center around this. 1. How does borderline personality disorder fit into this? I mean, I don't see it and I don't understand why her doctor does. 2. I can see her fitting more into a schizoaffective bipolar type diagnosis. Her doctor once told me as did some of my research, that antidepressants are not a good choice with bipolar disorder. She has been on Zoloft for approx 2 years now with increases. She is also now on Trazodone. I am concerned that if she does have bipolar tendencies that neither of these medications may be helping her. I am especially concerned now that she is using the Abilify and that the Abilify could be enhancing their effects. Her doctor did decreased the Zoloft back down to 100mg upon increasing the Abilify but she did increase the Trazodone. The Trazodone is for sleep so she ordered it by 50mg increments. She said to use it up to 300mg to help her sleep. If she sleeps through the night and wakes up without feeling groggy then that is the appropriate dose for her. But, the problem is, her sleep pattern right now is so disjointed I don't know if I should even give her the Trazodone. I would really appreciate some insight and thoughts.

making_art

Hi Karri,

It is so frustrating to be a caregiver to someone who is very ill and for such a long time and not really be sure what you are dealing with. The problem with diagnosis is that symptoms do change over time with people who are at the beginning of an illness. Still, having the best medication to treat the symptoms that are currently present sure does help!

I would highly recommend taking the NAMi Family to Family course in your area. (This link takes you directly to the page to search in your area)That is if you have not already done so. The advantage to taking this course is that you have the most up to date information. You will have all the tools you need to get the best possible treatment for your daughter. The other advantage of being in the course is that you find out who are the best clinicians in your area so that you can then direct your daughter towards the best possible care.

Another important advantage is that you get to meet people who have been down the same road and you can learn what worked and did not work for them in dealing with your local hospital etc.

:support:

I hear you and it is so frustrating when the professionals cannot get together and get a proper diagnosis It is very confusing as well to the patient and the family
My daughter has had so many diagnosis but finally finally head of psychiatry told the team to throw away all the other diagnosis and put down she was schizophrenic and she is without her meds omg she is so paranoid I hope you go to the best there is ok don't stop until you are satisfied with what you are hearing How easy it is for them to use that label borderline personality when they truly do not know the person It is you that know your child and what she is experiencing so i hope you keep advocating for her As stated try to find a group for you to get support ok from because i know how lonely it can feel when you are trying to get the help you need. Use the link given to you by Make_art ok get support for you too hugs

Karri

Thank you both. I have been given that advice several times and I know I need to follow through on it. It has been so difficult maintaining my work, home and managing her care that I just keep putting it off and putting it off. Her psychologist met with the three of us yesterday. It was the last session with him because he is moving out of state to take another job. He has been a god send to us this past 6 months and we are going to miss him dearly. He advised my husband and I to seek counseling for ourselves. I know he's right about that but at the same time it seems almost selfish to focus on ourselves when she is stuck in her life and unable to move forward. I plan on speaking with her psychiatrist on our next visit about my concerns. The new psychologist can not see her for 3 weeks and the psychiatrist is on vacation for the next week. Hoping that we have something positive to show her. One day at a time! That has been almost a daily thought for the past 2 and a half years. I gotta keep moving forward.

making_art

Karri, I know how hard it is to balance it all because I have been there too.....it is not uncommon for us caregivers who are coping with a severe and persistent mental illness in a loved one to experience a reactive depression. It is also very difficult for us to see this in ourselves. It can take time to get to a point where we are ready for the NAMI course and you will know when that is. It will be part of your healing journey though and by taking the course you will also benefit your daughter.

Take the psychologists advice and get counselling for you and your husband....it will benefit your marriage and give you both the strength you will need to help your daughter in the future. Perhaps this is the one most important thing you can do for all of you.....learn to be able to take good care of yourselves without guilt. It is not an act of selfishness....it is an important tool for survival.

Yea...taking it one day at a time has gotten me through too.

:grouphug3:

Karri

Thank you so much. I know every word you've written is truly wisdom. I knew myself these things to be fact as well but it is true we tend to neglect ourselves at times like these. It may seem odd but this has in many ways strengthened the bond of our marriage. My husband has always been my rock and my first supporter but this has brought out his protective nature even more so. But, I also know, this can become a huge strain on our relationship in other ways. Particularly being at that point in our lives where we were expecting an empty nest and now it's like having a small child to care for all over again. We have each other to support and grieve when we need it though and that helps us stay strong. I have been recognizing lately symptoms of depression in myself and am beginning realize I need to do something soon before it worsens. Thank you again for your words. I have always said, it is a huge help knowing you are not alone nor the only one dealing with what ever the problem may be.

making_art

Yes...so important to know you are not alone, Kerri and unless you have friends who have the lived experience of having a child like you have then most often it is very difficult to be able to talk to them about it. I had a close friend who was a nurse and she said to me: " Well, you must have done something different with your son" . That ended our relationship because at the time I just could not handle hearing such things. That is why the NAMI course was such a lifeline for me. So great to be with others and I made lifelong friends through it too!

That's wonderful that your marriage has such strength! I am so happy for you. I have friends who had the same experience where the marriage was strengthened. The psychologist will be able to help you if you are having some depression.

:2thumbs:

Itoo have had to get help with depression i don't think it is abnormal really to feel such a sadness as you said there is a grieving process for dreams you would have had for your child.

I would like to tell you that those dreams can still be a reality it will take longer for your daughter but with medication the right ones she can find stability and go on and become what she wants to become
. My daughter is now 25 and she just recently went back to college and is now doing a volunteer position in a job she loves and hopes in time to get even a part time job afterwards

It took a lot of time and her team has helped her ACT team so dreams can still be had ok.

I wish i had reached out for support like stated I do think it would be so helpful to all of you

Just want you to know it can get better ok with right meds and treatment your daughter can and will become independant as mine did just had to learn to know when to let her go

making_art

Forgetmenot...such good news that your daughter is on a good recovery road! I am so hoping it continues for her.:hug:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.