More threads by Rattlecat

Rattlecat

I've been wanting to pursue Psychology, and more specifically, get into therapeutic fields such as dance and art therapy. While looking for colleges, I've realized that a good majority of them are textbook only.

I want to be able to work in the field actually working with possible client scenarios, being able to create questions and tactics and using them to see the different results. Hands on, pretty much.

Does anyone know where I may be able to pursue this type of training/education? And if not, what would you suggest as an alternative to reach this level?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You have to learn the basics before getting advanced training. When you learn to drive a car, the first step is to learn the rules of of the road and how a car works. Only then do you get into the car and and start learning how to accelerate, brake, and steer.

If you want to become a therapist, the same holds true. It's not difficult to learn certain specific therapeutic techniques. The trick is to know when to use them... and when to use a different approach entirely. And before you can make that decision, you have to learn why you're using any of them; what it is your dealing with; the nature of the problem, issue, or disorder; and the basics of psychopathology and diagnosis.

I don't think any reputable training program is going to skip those fundamental steps and let you learn as you go, like some sort of apprentice. I don't think any reputable clinic is going to let someone without the fundamentals any where near an actual client. For one thing, we are talking about real human beings and real lives here, and you may well do more damage than good if you don't know what you're doing..

Rattlecat

Well no, I don't mean like that! I do know I need the basics.

For example, one of the colleges I was looking into, it's purely textbook. Throughout all semesters, there's no probable scenarios, where you can sit two students together and re-enact little therapy sessions and such on them, trial and error, that sort of thing. It's just sitting in the classroom, read the book, take the test, get a degree. I haven't been able to find a program that gives you the knowledge you need, and then allows you to demonstrate your interpretation, then refining as you move into the next course, like an oral presentation or demonstration. It's pretty much just letting you read a book and look up answers for your quizzes, which I don't feel is going to help since I learn best by visually experiencing the training, instead of just being stuck in a familiar environment and reading about it.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Maybe the experience comes later, when you have the basics down pat?

This is true for teaching, law, medicine and other professional areas....

Rattlecat

Possibly. >.<. It's just difficult. I'm extremely hands on, but I've always wanted to go into psychology, art therapy, dance therapy. One of my friends' sons is autistic, and I'm normally with him a lot and you have to be very hands on to deal with him. I really do want to turn it into a career, or at least a side choice of mine. Just unsure of how to go about it, really.

Jazzey

Account Closed
There's nothing wrong with a 'hands on approach' :). However, as Dr. Baxter has already suggested tonight, it is imperative that the foundation be there to be able to assist people. Otherwise, you may be causing more harm than good.

Another option, if you're interested in helping special needs children, is to become a teacher's assistant. Or, get a teaching degree where you specialize in special needs students. But again, a solid foundation is still a requisite. :)

Rattlecat

Hm, well, the closest university to me is the University of Kentucky. What exactly would I look for? Or should I just pursue the Psychology major, and seek possibly a personal teacher's assistant outside of the university after I've acquired my degree? I'm definitely looking into working with autistic children, that's probably the primary reason I'm pursuing the career next to taking my passion of art and using it to help people through conflicts.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Teaching and psychology are very different fields. So I guess I can flip back the question to you. :) Do you want to practice psychology, or do you want to teach children who have special needs? :)

Only you can answer that question rattle...What do you feel passionate about? what precisely are you looking to do?

I think that helping autistic children is a laudable goal. But again, there are so many avenues - psychology, speech therapy (for some), teaching ...the list is enumerable really.

My suggestion tonight would be for you to dig deep within yourself and think of what you want. Choosing a lifetime career is so personal. It's important to be passionate about it - particularly in fields where you're assisting people. Only you can make that determination.

Maybe a solution would be to seek the advice of a career counsellor. Every University has a center for this. Go and do a bit of research on the programs to enable you to make an educated decision about what may interest you.

Again, wanting to assist autistic children is a laudable goal. Having worked with autistic children myself, I can tell you that it is, at times, difficult. All the more reason to really appreciate what your ultimate goal in life is - for yourself.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hm, well, the closest university to me is the University of Kentucky. What exactly would I look for? Or should I just pursue the Psychology major, and seek possibly a personal teacher's assistant outside of the university after I've acquired my degree? I'm definitely looking into working with autistic children, that's probably the primary reason I'm pursuing the career next to taking my passion of art and using it to help people through conflicts.

I would suggest you make an appointment with one of the guidance counsellors at the university. Maybe psychology isn't the best option for you, since your interests are quite specific. You could perhaps look into the social work program, for example.

Rattlecat

I am extremely fond of autistic people. I feel they honestly have a better understanding of the world then we do, and they've had to sacrifice the more 'normal' society standards in order to have that type of view. I love art, it's always been an aid for me, and for my friends, and I'm very emotional about it. I feel it can cure far more then any medicine can, as well as theater and dance.

While people consider me a good teacher, and wished I had been a teacher for them, I don't feel I can be someone who just stands up and teaches from a book. I like to be one on one with people, showing them a path and letting them walk it, and getting their word on it every step of the way so that I can help them achieve what they like.

I love to help. My passion pretty much lies with being able to use art, games, music and dance, the things that people criticize on a daily basis in the world, and show that they can be remedies, or aids to people less fortunate, or just people looking for a change in their life. Kids, teens, adults, it doesn't really matter who. It's hard to explain, I guess. I've been the part of the generation that plays video games, and always being nagged about on how it's just another addiction, a time waster. I got into the field of game design, because I knew there was a psychological part to it. Something creators would add, that chose how addicting a game became. I was right, there is an element to it, and I wanted to be able to use it for the better. To bring certain emotions or change a mindset on how one sees the world, then apply that in their life to make their lifestyle better and to feel better about themselves.

I am -very- aware of how difficult it is to work with autistic children. Sometimes, my friend's mother brings me to tears because she feels her son, who is autistic, is a curse, or God's test, some test, of showing how incapable she is, and it's distressing. I'm patient, and I do my best to be understanding. I'm the one who could sit for hours just watching someone, to get a feel for how they react towards certain things, to figure out what might pull a negative trigger, or what pulls the positive. And then I like to talk with them, interact, get a closer feel and then analyze all of that, in order to provide a suitable solution, if there needs to be one, of how to improve their lifestyle, or those who are dealing with them.

Is there even a -field- for that?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.