More threads by David Baxter PhD

Halo

Did you misspell "chip shop" and "crap"? :D

You obviously need a little more :coffee: this morning or some additional :zzz: because I clearly spelled Hip Hop and Rap correctly :pffttt:

You really don't want to know what I have to say about Beethoven and Mozart :censored:

Mubarik

It may be :cool: but it ain't music. :panic:

I don't know what it IS but I know it ain't music.

Hip hop is definitely music. You just don't know hip hop, that's why you would say that.. I listen to mostly old school.. Another reason why you might not like it is because of race. A lot of hip hop is directed at the black culture mainly. (I'm only 15 by the way.) There is still a wide variety though. (Eminem isn't the only good white rapper. xD)

But yet claim that Beethoven and Mozart are :rolleyes: :yuck:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one :)

I like Beethoven and Mozart. I love classical music, jazz, and hip hop.

Last edited:

just mary

I agree. And of course you can add Neil Young to the grunge list - the grandfather of grunge and garage rock.

And he also has the distinction of recording the song with the most distortion ever: Hey Hey (into the black) or whatever it was called.

ahem, cough, cough, sputter, sputter...

How can you say that Dr. Baxter, Neil Young is amazing...

I'm a little floored, I need time to regroup...:banghead:

And I LOVED grunge, I loved the noise...starting with Husker Du

But I'm just a gen x'er, that's the generation between the Baby Boomers and all their kids. :sigh: Poor me...:(

( :D you know I'm just kidding right???)

Okay, now that THAT'S out of the way, I love music. :)

I use it for all the reasons stated, I like jazz, classical, GRUNGE, anything that makes me feel good inside...or in other words, matches my mood or the weather.

jm

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hip hop is definitely music. You just don't know hip hop, that's why you would say that.. I listen to mostly old school..

No. I know what it is. I also know what jazz is. And RAP. And opera. And I dislike all of them (with the possible exception of Madame Butterfly because my mom used to sing that one). It's not lack of exposure, believe me. If anything, it's too much exposure. :(

I like pretty much all other musical genres.

Another reason why you might not like it is because of race.

No. It is definitely not that either. FYI, I have a sister and a brother who are black (adopted).

Last edited by a moderator:

just mary

Quote: Originally Posted by just mary
ahem, cough, cough, sputter, sputter...

How can you say that Dr. Baxter, Neil Young is amazing...

I totally agree. One of my all time favorites. When people ask me what kind of music I play, he's one of the first that comes to mind to describe it.

Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I'm glad you like Neil Young. Some people don't and I don't understand why. I know he's hard to understand but how can you argue with the following, "Don't let it bring you down, It's only castles burning, Just find someone who's turning, and you will come around."

I feel much better :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
And After the Gold Rush is my all time favorite Neil Young album. :)

And #2 would be Harvest. And #3 Cinnamon Girl (not certain what the album ntitle was but the one with that song and Down By The River).

miromir

Yes, music can change your mood, but I think don't believe that some kind of music can, It must be your favorite genre. For example- some folks say that New age music will balance your chakras. I don't know about this, but I think it's not true. To balance your chakras you need to listen your favorite music. Yes, it's only my opinion. All the best.

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
Music is such a powerful thing :)

It has been the most effective coping/emotion regulation strategy I have ever used. It was what I used to help myself overcome self-injury. Nothing else I tried ever worked so well.

I am a big fan of classical music, particularly Mozart, Thomas Tallis, Faure, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, and Rachmaninov. I love really old madrigal music. I also like bands like Plumb and Evanescence. I'm not a fan of rap, country/western, or anything where the words are screamed so loudly you can't understand what they're saying :D

ThatLady

Meglet, considering the kind of music you enjoy, have you listened to Blackmore's Night, by chance? I think you might enjoy them. There's a medieval feel to their music that I believe might just charm you as it does me. :)

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
I haven't heard of Blackmore's Night, but I just looked them up and heard some of their music clips. Their music is quite haunting, isn't it? Thanks for sharing :)

AVC

Anyone who grew up in the 60's and 70's knows how powerful rock and pop music is, for many of us it was all we did in our spare time and was a giant part of our existence and identity as people, maybe too much so, taking us away from other important pursuits like education or even learning a vocation.

ThatLady

You're welcome, Meglet. I've been a fan of Richie Blackmore since my mother introduced me to some of his work with Deep Purple. Now, he's allowing himself to do only what he loves. I find it beautiful and calming to listen to. :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
To add to the article posted in 2007 (the first post of this thread), another way music can help influence mood is helping one be more mindful of the present:

Struggling with Life? How Your Ears Can Help
By Elisha Goldstein, Ph.D.

Hearing. A sense we often take for granted. So many sounds coming and going in a moment, but so often we’re on auto-pilot, in our minds thinking about this, worrying about that, fantasizing, catastrophizing, or ruminating on past regrets. We often forget about this gift. For many of us, because of our brains and our ear drums we have this gift of audibility. Let this blog be a reminder to close your eyes and just pay attention to sounds. Why do this?

For one, sounds are happening right now and like the breath and body sensations can be something to anchor us to this present moment when our mind is headed in a direction of increasing distress. This is not to avoid what is uncomfortable in the moment, but to ground us so we can work with it effectively...
Make it an exercise in mindfulness by really focusing on the sound and vibration of each note, the feelings that the music brings up within you, and other sensations that are happening "right now" as you listen. If other thoughts creep into your head, congratulate yourself for noticing, and gently bring your attention back to the current moment and the music you are hearing.

Mindfulness Exercises - Everyday Mindfulness Exercises For Stress Relief

I was thinking about this the other day. I made a list of the things that make me happy and music was at the top of it. Other things include a good nights sleep, the natural beauty of nature, a spontaneous smile and joy on someone's face, and the unconditional love of a child.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.