More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Shame: The Core of Addiction and Codependence
by Darlene Lancer, MFT
Aug. 4, 2012

Shame is so painful to the psyche that most people will do anything to avoid it ? even though it?s a natural emotion that everyone has. It?s a physiologic response of the autonomic nervous system. You might blush, have a rapid heartbeat, break into a sweat, freeze, hang your head, slump your shoulders, avoid eye contact, withdraw, even get dizzy or nauseous.

Why Shame is so Painful and unlike Guilt
Whereas guilt is a right or wrong judgment about your behavior, shame is a feeling about yourself. Guilt motivates you to want to correct or repair the error. In contrast, shame is an intense global feeling of inadequacy, inferiority, or self-loathing. You want to hide or disappear. In front of others, you feel exposed and humiliated, as if they can see your flaws. The worst part of it is a profound sense of separation ? from yourself and from others. It?s disintegrating, meaning that you lose touch with all the other parts of yourself, and you also feel disconnected from everyone else. Shame induces a belief that isn?t always conscious, such as:

• I?m a failure.
  • I?m not important.
  • I?m unlovable.
  • I don?t deserve to be happy.
  • I?m a bad person.
  • I?m a phony.
  • I?m defective.

Chronic Shame in Codependency and Addiction
Like all emotions, shame passes, but for addicts and codependents it hangs around, often beneath consciousness, and leads to other painful feelings and problematic behavior. You?re ashamed of who you are. You don?t believe that you matter or are worthy of love, respect, success, or happiness. When shame becomes all pervasive, it paralyzes spontaneity. A chronic sense of unworthiness and inferiority can result in depression, hopelessness, and despair, until you become numb, feeling disconnected from life and everyone else, like the walking dead.

It can lead to addiction and is the core feeling that leads to many other codependents? symptoms. Here are a few of the other symptoms that are derived from shame:

• Perfectionism
  • Low Self-Esteem
  • People Pleasing
  • Guilt

For codependents, it can lead to control, caretaking, and dysfunctional, nonassertive communication. Shame creates many fears and anxieties that make relationships difficult, especially intimate ones. Many people sabotage themselves in work and relationships because of these fears. You aren?t assertive when shame causes you to be afraid to speak your mind, take a position, or express who they are. You blame others because you already feel so bad about yourself that you can?t take responsibility for any mistake or misunderstanding, meanwhile apologizing like crazy to avoid just that! Codependents are afraid to get close because they don?t believe they?re worthy of love, or that once known, they?ll disappoint the other person. The unconscious thought might be that I?ll leave before you leave me. Fear of success and failure may limit job performance and career options.

Hidden Shame
Because shame is so painful, it?s common for people to hide their shame from themselves by feeling sad, superior, or angry at a perceived insult instead. Other times, it comes out as boasting, envy, or judgment of others. The more aggressive and contemptuous are these feelings, the stronger the shame. An obvious example is a bully, who brings others down to raise himself, but this can happen all in your mind without actually bullying anyone. It needn?t be that extreme, you might talk down to those you teach or supervise, people of a different class or culture, or someone you judge. Another tell-tale symptom is frequent idealization of others, because you feel so low in comparison. The problem with these defenses is that if you aren?t aware of your shame, it doesn?t dissipate, but persists and mounts up.

Theories about Shame
There are three main theories about shame. The first is functional, derived from Darwinian Theory. Functionalists see shame as adaptive to relationships and culture. It helps you to be acceptable and fit in and behave morally in society. The cognitive model views shame as a self-evaluation in reaction to others? perception of you and to your failing to meet certain rules and standards. This experience becomes internalized and attributed globally, so that you feel flawed or like a failure. This theory requires self-awareness that begins around 18 to 24 months old. The third is a psychoanalytic attachment theory based upon a baby?s attachment to its mother and significant caretakers. When there?s a disruption in that attachment, an infant may feel unwanted or unacceptable as early as 2 1/2 to 3 months. Research has also shown that a propensity for shame varies among children and their temperaments.

Healing Shame
Healing requires a safe environment where you can begin to be vulnerable, express yourself, and receive acceptance and empathy. Then you?re able to internalize a new experience and begin to revise your beliefs about yourself. It may require revisiting shame inducing events or past messages and re-evaluating them in a new perspective. Usually it takes an empathic therapist or counselor to create that space so that you can incrementally tolerate self-loathing and the pain of shame enough to self-reflect upon it until it dissipates.

Banned

Banned
This is a very good article that unfortunately describes me perfectly. Very interesting and thought-provoking.

gardens

This article just gave me an 'aha' moment.

Hi, I've been lurking here for .... years I guess :eek:

I've been struggling with depression for such a long time, have been well and then would fall, over and over.

I think I need to deal with the shame I feel.

I remember when I first admitted to myself that I had a problem with alcohol, 14 years ago. It was so painful to admit - I was so angry. My therapist had to point our that I was feeling 'shame'. I still find it crazy not to be able to identify your own emotions. But once I recognized the emotion, I could work through it.

I have so much shame associated with this illness.

1. having it in the first place.
2. a part of me still thinks I'm just weak.
3. I don't measure up to family, friends. wow and the list goes on and on.

And that's it for now. LOL - that kinda came from left field. but Hi!

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
:( I have a problem with shame as well due to codependency issues. Unfortunately I repeated the same patterns over and over throughout my life. The lists above perfectly describe me. However through reading the work of Brene Brown and articles like the one above, plus therapy I am working hard to overcome these issues.

GDPR

GDPR
I guess I carry huge amounts of shame. A lifetime's worth. I'm not sure I will ever be able to overcome it.

gardens

It comes to being able to forgive ourselves, doesn't it. Why are we so hard on ourselves? There are times when I can get there. forgive myself - but it always seems to creep back. I've learned some CBT skills - but sometimes it just gets away from me. It exhausting trying to find peace. :hissyfit:

I think everyone experiences shame?!
How do you guys overcome it? Are you able to push it out of your thoughts?

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I agree that it is exhausting at times. At the moment I would have to say that I am not doing that well so it is time to get reading and practicing some positive behaviours. Sadly I know what to do but at times it is so easy to slide into old patterns. I can't push it out of my thoughts - I have to do positive things. The slide begins and I tend to isolate myself and feel unable to move forward with anything- not good. Glad that you asked the question - time for me to move forward tomorrow. What works for you? I hate hate hate the negative self talk - it is so destructive and paralyzing.

Banned

Banned
I think I've made some progress in identifying the things I'm ashamed of, at least on a superficial level, which gives me an idea of some things I can do. I think some of it too goes much deeper and I can't resolve it on my own.

gardens

rdw - I hate the negative self-talk too. I've been doing it for so long (all my life I think) that it is automatic and it takes sometimes a huge effort to overcome.
What works for me? What works best is staying preoccupied so I can't be alone with my thoughts for too long. I just need to find some better ways of spending my time. (I'm on the computer ALL the time - not the best way to spend time - but not the worst either).

Turtle - yes I have stuff that I can't handle on my own either.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I have found that practicing mindfulness helps me to live in the here and now and not dwell on the past. It also helps me not to project my fears and shame into the future. And so why am I not doing that at the moment?:facepalm:

Banned

Banned
I think I avoid negative self-talk but I have a constant awareness in my mind of things that I am ashamed of. Some should be theoretically easy to fix (lose some weight, finish university, etc) so I'm not sure what holds me back from actually fixing them.

The deeper stuff is going to take some serious therapy, so I try not to think about it.

gardens

I can sometimes tell myself "I don't have to think of this now - I can think about it later". My therapist suggested actually scheduling in time to worry. I get what she's getting at, but I haven't been able to actually do it. hmmm All these great coping skills and ideas - so darn hard to implement :rolleyes:. But it's good to be reminded of these things!

Banned

Banned
Hard to implement because then we have to put energy into focusing on the very things we're ashamed of.

HotthenCold

This article sheds some more light on my "quirks", thanks for posting.

It's interesting, this shame. I have been much more mindful in the past few months, maybe even mindful for the first time ever.

For all of my ruminating on the issues depression/anxiety/fear/ocd/yadayadayada, I feel that a lot of what I've interpreted as those things was actually the experience of shame.

It's profound how deeply this feeling can affect people. I know for me, it is like a dirty cloud surrounding my thoughts, always ready to fill in the fresh space of a new thought with all of it's judgements, fears, and all that crap.

The silver lining is that being aware of it is the first step to changing it.

Not sure exactly what the next step is, other than stay sober, stay healthy, feed my brain/body/spirit, and keep learning.

Hasta luego.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
That really is an excellent article. It's almost like it boils down 90% of the world's problems to their essence... I feel like it's what is underneath so many things and what is at the core of so many people's behaviour... even some group behaviour; powerful people; people who have no conscious awareness of it and wouldn't consider themselves "abnormal"... etc etc... shame and fear.

It's sad, and strange, that (especially in the context of many people at Psychlinks) the very people who tend to "deserve" this shame the least, and have the least "reason" to feel it, are those who feel it the most. It's like shame should be seen for what it is... it's a function of how effectively irresponsible or unaware people have deposited it into your psyche at an early age, and/or of how underfunctional certain parts of the brain are in some people. For so many, it's like... that's literally all it is, that is all that shame means.

And I guess those on a journey toward wellness, awareness and responsible choices are those feelng it most strongly usually... either being pushed by symptoms to seek help, or feeling the pain in the journey of treatment and learning.

Take heart, all of you... if you're feeling it and recognizing it, and here reading about it and learning, you're probably someone who had more of it "put there" by things other than your "badness", and you're one of the people on the better track... so it belongs in you the least....
Hugs to all! xx

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.