More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sleep Eating: More Than Nocturnal Snacking
September 07, 2004
Sandra G. Boodman, Washington Post

Some people wake up to eat several times each night, a condition known as night eating syndrome. Because they are fully conscious during these episodes and are more likely to have a history of clinical depression, this is considered to be a different problem than sleepeating.

Night eating syndrome was first described by University of Pennsylvania psychiatrist Albert Stunkard in 1955, when he studied hospitalized obese patients.

Stunkard noted that some patients woke up multiple times during the night to eat and were unable to fall asleep until they did. Unlike sleep eaters, they did not try to consume unusual substances, like raw meat or paper, and rarely have a history of sleepwalking.

Treatment for night eating syndrome often involves a combination of behavior therapy and medications.

jubjub

I had this for several years. Somehow I managed to stop myself. I don't know how! I just don't do it anymore!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
jubjub said:
I had this for several years. Somehow I managed to stop myself. I don't know how! I just don't do it anymore!
Rats. You were supposed to write it down, jubjub... remember the movie Medicine Man with Sean Connery? ... ;o)

jubjub

You know, I hate to say this, but I believe I stopped eating during the early morning hours by replacing it with grabbing a smoke instead!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
jubjub said:
You know, I hate to say this, but I believe I stopped eating during the early morning hours by replacing it with grabbing a smoke instead!
[thumbing through the book...]

Odd. I don't see that listed as an approved treatment...

But then again, what do doctors know, right? ;o)

sammy

I can't eat anything, even toast in the mornings, until I've had 2 or 3 mugs of strong tea! :D
But I did used to have a ciggie first thing- pre-first pregnancy... :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
sammy said:
I can't eat anything, even toast in the mornings, until I've had 2 or 3 mugs of strong tea!
Ditto here, except for me it's coffee.

But I did used to have a ciggie first thing- pre-first pregnancy...
In my case, I will admit to having smoked at one time but that story about me being pregnant was a total fabrication!

jubjub

For me, smoking was the lesser of two evils, I guess. Also, I don't think there are any hidden calories in smoke!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.