More threads by sun_after_the_rain

Hi, I want to lose some weight and I plan to do it by counting calories.

A problem for me when I'm planning my meals is that I don't always have somewhere to be each day and so will sleep in to about 11 in the morning. This throws normal meal times out of whack. I'm not sure whether I should have Breakfast when I wake, or hold off for an hour or two and have Lunch, and if I don't have Lunch at all, should I factor in a large snack in the evening so I don't run on too few calories?

Some advice would be great. Thanks.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Ideally, where you want to be is at a place where you eat when you're hungry and don't eat when you're not regardless of time, i.e., use your internal signals to cue eating instead of the clock.

That said, it appears that eating late at night, just before you go to sleep, is a poor strategy both for sleep quality and for weight management.

Banned

Banned
They also say your first meal of the day should be the biggest - it provides the energy you need for the day and gives you the day to burn the calories. Also, it's been said that rather than eating three "big" meals, it's far healthier to eat five or six much smaller meals through out the day. This keeps your metabolism going and avoids the stop/start that makes it harder on your body to digest the food.

I'm working on losing some weight as well and have found counting calories to be very difficult - there are just so many "hidden" calories out there, and it's not all about the calories - you could eat eight brownies in a day and be under your calorie count, but there's not much nutrition, and that's alot of "empty" calories.

Instead, I did some research how just how to eat "smart"...I used to go through about a loaf of bread a day. Iv'e cut back to three or four pieces of bread a week. Incorporated more protein, more fruits and veggies, don't eat until I'm so stuffed I can't move, choose healthy carbs, cut out the three donuts a day, and I find this so much easier, and I'm not obsessing about calories (mind you I have a very obsessive personality so maybe not everyone would like I would).

Anyway...just a bit of of advice from someone who's on the road right now!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think the "six meals a day" issue has to do with maintaining more constant blood glucose levels rather than weight loss or maintenance.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Therefore:

You can certainly experiment with the number and timing of your meals to see what keeps you satisfied and energized. If you enjoy having several smaller meals, there is no reason to eat three "square" meals each day, as long as you are getting a balanced mix of fruits, vegies, whole grains, and lean protein. Likewise, if eating three meals a day is working well for you, there's no need to buy into the fad of several small meals. Wishing you enjoyment in your eating.

Go Ask Alice!: Five or six meals a day vs. three?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.