More threads by WilliamCollins

According to your (hopefully educated) opinion, can people chose to become smarter than they already are and succeed, or do you think, as many do, that we're born with a certain amount of smarts which doesn't change? Please elaborate.

There was this one study (can't recall the name) that proved that young children who were destined to be dull were educated and put in special programs from an early age and all this actually proved to make them smart/er in adulthood. So I'm pretty sure that we can train children or even infants to become really smart but can we do the same thing with someone older... Someone that's in their late teens/early twenty's? I wonder.

I'm looking forward to reading your answers. Thanks!

Yes i do believe one can become smarter at any age. If one starts to use parts of the brain that has not been used it will improve.
They say old people who continually challenge their brain by picking up new things learning to things live longer even.
People long into their years go back to school and are able to do very well at becoming more educated.
People in their twenties i am sure have not used half of their learning power yet. I think if one is interested in the topic they are taking it makes it easier for them to take things in and to learn it. Even people that have learning difficulties given the right approach for them to learn they do infact do that with a skillful mentor they too can improve their brain power. I think other things set up back when it comes to learning like emotions fear old msgs but definetly yes anyone can become smarter in some way.

defect

Dr. Rhonda Low on CTV said yesterday that better nutrition at the start of pregnancy results in higher IQ's. I'm not sure who financed the study.
Personally, I think environment plus personality are the ingredients that determine 'smarts'.
Are you talking about the ease and ability to learn, or the appetite for knowledge?

Yuray

Equating smartness with the capacity to learn is not a fair test or expectaion. Every year, academia produces graduates who have earned their degrees by rote, and diligent hard work, and others seem to breeze through, but this alone doesn't make them smart, only educated. Being smart has more to do with utilizing whatever knowledge you have, however earned, in the best possible way for it to be meaningful in a positive way. The measure of smartness is best determined by the outcome of critical thinking, which requires no education to possess. Intelligence and smartness are not synonymous. Both can work together, or work independant of each other. If I were standing at the fork in the road with a choice to make, I would look for advice someone familiar with roads over someone with a degree in 'roads'.

Critical Thinking Exercises .........interesting link

There was this one study (can't recall the name) that proved that young children who were destined to be dull were educated and put in special programs from an early age and all this actually proved to make them smart/er in adulthood.
When I read things like this I usually refer to it as nonsense, but in this case I have given it more thought (critical thought!), and the only adjective that comes to mind is 'hogwash'!
'destined to be dull'? 'proved to make them smarter'? There is so much wrong with those statements (in the context you have reported it in) that I must refrain from responding lest I 'flip my lid'. :thinking: Feeling stupid, and being stupid, are two different things. Stupid people don't raise such inquiring questions as you have raised. :smartass:

You are just feeling uncomfortable with your illness William You are not stupid sometimes maybe confused scared but that will change once you become more stable and see you can be whomever you want to be Give it time okay these feeling you are having are normal right now but in time you will gain your confidence back and move forward again. take care okay You are doing all the right things don't be so hard on you .

I would hate to be stupid...I believe if we were all so stupid we would be enslaved by religion and the right of freedom of thought would be no more.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.