More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Social Factors in Schizophrenia
Jill M. Hooley, Department of Psychology, Harvard University
Retrieved September 29, 2010

One of the defining characteristics of schizophrenia is impaired social functioning. This was recognized a century ago in the earliest clinical descriptions of the disorder. Today, deterioration of social relations remains a hallmark of schizophrenia, with social isolation and withdrawal forming part of its clinical profile in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. But what kind of social problems do patients with schizophrenia have? When do they become apparent? Who is most affected? In this article, I present a brief review of what is currently known and highlight issues that still require attention from researchers. In addition to describing the social deficits associated with schizophrenia, I also consider some of the social consequences that may arise from these deficits. These consequences include social rejection, stigma, and problematic family relationships. I also consider the role of social-skills training in improving patients? general social functioning and the clinical course of their disease.

Read full article... :acrobat: or see attachment.

Attachments

• 238.full.pdf
    153 KB · Views: 2
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.