More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Some Symptoms of Schizophrenia are Hard to Detect and Difficult to Treat
July 10, 2006
HealthNewsDigest.com

(BOSTON) -- Hallucinations and delusions are the most obvious symptoms of schizophrenia. But such psychotic or positive symptoms are not necessarily the most important or disabling ones. Another set of symptoms, called negative symptoms, are much more pervasive and persistentand they have a much greater effect on a patients quality of life, reports the July issue of the Harvard Mental Health Letter.

Negative symptoms are marked by absence as much as presence: inexpressive faces, monotone speech, few gestures, seeming lack of interest in the world, and inability to feel pleasure. Positive symptoms make treatment seem more urgent. But negative symptoms are the main reason patients with schizophrenia cannot live independently, hold jobs, establish personal relationships, and manage everyday social situations. These symptoms are also the ones that trouble them most, says Dr. Michael Miller, editor in chief of the Harvard Mental Health Letter.

Negative symptoms are closely related to limitations in cognitive abilities, such as mental flexibility and the capacity to pay attention and shift focus when necessary. Such mental limitations also affect real-world functioning and the outcome of the illness.

A form of therapy called cognitive rehabilitation is being used to teach people with schizophrenia how to safely communicate their needs and show that they understand the needs of others. Also called cognitive remediation or cognitive enhancement, this therapy involves exercises that require patients to pay attention and to read social situations. The Harvard Mental Health Letter suggests that caregivers and doctors can also help combat negative symptoms by providing education, psychotherapy, and behavioral training, as well as help with employment, housing, and family relations.

Retired

A form of therapy called cognitive rehabilitation

I don't know if my question is related to this subject or to the context of the quote, but I'd like this opportunity to understand terminology that has puzzled me.

I have heard that some psychologists practice
cognitive therapy
and I have wondered what this means and in what situations is this form of therapy used?

In this article we have learned additional terms: cognitive remediation or cognitive enhancement, and cognitive rehabilitation.

What are our cognitive abilities, and is schizophrenia the only illness which impairs cognitive ability?

foghlaim

steve: i think i'm right when i say that depression has an effect on our cognitive abilities. the way we think about things, think about others, the world around us.
with depression these can become distorted and sometimes cognitive behavioural therapy is needed to correct the above.

there is a thread explaining c.B.T on the forum somewhere... sorry i should have looked up the link before replying to this.

maybe david can put the link in here for you.

I imagine cognitive remediation or cognitive enhancement, and cognitive rehabilitation wouldn't be that different from cbt but i could be very wrong.

nsa

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
No, these are not the same thing as cognitive behavior therapy. I want to investigate further what exactly they do involde but I think it has more to do with cueing and practice with social and emotional interpretation.

foghlaim

okay... i was wrong.. Lol

but when you do find out be be sure to let us know, my own curiousity is peaked now, by those terms.

thankd for telling us what you think they involve tho. interesting!

nsa

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.