More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The latest batch of spam/phishing emails I've been receiving come allegedly from CIRA with the subject line Online Refund.

If I open the email, it tells me that the Canada Revenue Agency has discovered that they owe me money and invites me to click on a link and provide details to obtain this.

Now CIRA = the Canadian Internet Regulation Agency.

The Canada Revenue Agency is CRA, not CIRA.

Come on, spammers. At least do a little basic research before sending me this garbage.

And while we're on the subject, I do NOT have bank accounts in Hong Kong, Sweden, the US, or anywhere else in the world except Canada, so frankly all those emails about how those accounts have been compromised are pretty much pointless.

Jackie

I recently had a series of emails about orders I had placed with non existent companies and how they were refunding me money on my order due to my complaint and they required my banking details for this. If I had ordered with any company they would have my details anyway, no need to send an email asking for them! Spammers just really get on my nerves and I am being polite there:rant:

Fiver

Ah, here's my favourite scam revenge of all time.

By the way, if you'll send me $5000 to travel to Hong Kong, I'll gladly open a bank account and deposit $20,000 in your name, just because I'm nice like that.

y-bloc

Ugh. I actually open those things and read them, and I'm always left feeling irritated that they didn't try a little bit harder to fool me. Yeah, sure, I remember trying to ship $50,000 cash last week per UPS, and yeah, you're right, I DID forget to put a return address on that darned package. Sure, I'll give you my bank info so you can return the cash to my account. Thanks, so very kind of you. At least they didn't call themselves UIPS!

Banned

Banned
Fiver,

I LOVED the story you linked to. I totally cracked up reading it!!

Sadly spam is here to stay. I'm shocked that the oldest forms of it are still circulating and someone must fall for them or they'd give up.

I just read an article a couple weeks ago that said spammers are doing quite well in the recession. People are so desperate for money that they'll do almost anything apparently to try and cash in on some. The spammers are making a fortune right now.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.