More threads by Ashley-Kate

Here are a few statistics that I found while I was prepping for an oral presentation I had to do on eating disorders for my French class, although some may not be accurate anymore due to the changing numbers during the years:

• Eating disorder Statistics Research suggests that about one percent (1%) of female adolescents have anorexia. That means that about one out of every one hundred young women between ten and twenty are starving themselves, sometimes to death!
  • Research suggests that about four percent (4%), or four out of one hundred, college-aged women have bulimia. About 50% of people who have been anorexic develop bulimia or bulimic patterns. Because people with bulimia are secretive, it is difficult to know how many older people are affected. Bulimia is rare in children.
  • Approximately 7 million girls and women struggle with eating disorders ?
  • Approximately 1 million boys and men struggle with eating disorders
  • Amount of people affected by specific eating disorders: ? 0.5% - 3.7% of females suffer from Anorexia Nervosa in their lifetime
  • 1.1% - 4.2% of females suffer from Bulimia Nervosa in their lifetime
  • 2% - 5% of the American population experience Binge Eating Disorder
  • 10%-25% of all those battling anorexia will die as a direct result of the eating disorder
  • Up to 19% of college aged women in America are bulimic Only about 10% of people with anorexia and bulimia are male. This gender difference may reflect our society's different expectations for men and women. Men are supposed to be strong and powerful. They feel ashamed of skinny bodies and want to be big and powerful. Women, on the other hand, are supposed to be tiny, waif-like, and thin. They diet to lose weight, making themselves vulnerable to binge eating. Some develop rigid and compulsive over control.
  • Dieting and the resulting hunger are two of the most powerful eating disorders triggers known.
  • About 72% of alcoholic women younger than 30 also have eating disorders.
  • The incidence of new cases each year has been estimated as Anorexia nervosa, Up to 11 new cases per 100,000 population per year. Bulimia nervosa: Up to 18 new cases per 100,000 population per year.
  • While the incidence of anorexia nervosa appears to have remained fairly constant over time, that of bulimia nervosa appears to be increasing rapidly.

Age Eating Disorder Statistics
  • 10% report onset at 10 years or younger
  • 33% report onset between ages of 11-15 ? 43% report onset between ages of 16-20
  • 86% report onset of illness by the age of 20 College Eating Disorder Statistics:
  • As many as 10% of college women suffer from a clinical or nearly clinical eating disorder, including 5.1% who suffer from bulimia nervosa
  • Studies indicate that by their first year of college, 4.5 to 18% of women and 0.4% of men have a history of bulimia and that as many as 1% of females between the ages of 12 and 18 have anorexia

Body Image Unrealistic expectations:
  • Magazine pictures are electronically edited and airbrushed. Many entertainment celebrities are underweight, some anorexically so.
  • How do we know what we should look like? It's hard. If we compare the average women in the U. S. with Barbie Doll and department store mannequins. It's not encouraging. Height Weight Dress size Bust Hips Waist Average woman 5' 4" 145 lbs 11 ?14 36 - 37" 29 - 31" 40 - 42 Barbie 6' 0" 101 lbs 4 39" 19" 33? Store mannequin 6' 0" Not available 6 34" 23" 34?

Dieting teens:
  • More than half of teenaged girls are, or think they should be, on diets.
  • They want to lose all or some of the forty pounds that females naturally gain between 8 and 14.
  • About three percent of these teens go too far, becoming anorexic or bulimic
  • According to studies into diet, weight loss and body shape, many individuals feel dissatisfied with their body shape, and develop sub-clinical / borderline eating disorder attitudes and behaviors.
  • For example, 80 per cent of American women claim to be dissatisfied with their appearance and shape, and 1 in 2 American women are on a weight loss diet.
  • The prevailing standards of body weight and shape, as revealed in the use of abnormally thin models in the media, continue to emphasize the idea that "thin is beautiful" and (one suspects) only make things worse for adolescents and adults with borderline anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorders.
  • For example, 40 per cent of 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade girls want to be thinner. And 80 per cent of 10 year olds are worried in case they become fat. In another survey, 70 percent of 6th grade girls surveyed said that their concern about their weight, shape and diet started when they were aged 9-11.

In addition:
  • In a study of children aged 8-10, approximately 50 per cent of girls said they were unhappy with their size.
  • 42% of 1st-3rd grade girls want to be thinner
  • 81% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat
  • The average American woman is 5?4" tall and weighs 140 pounds.
  • The average American model is 5?11" tall and weighs 117 pounds.
  • Most fashion models are thinner than 98% of American women

Dieting
  • 51% of 9 and 10 year-old girls feel better about themselves if they are on a diet
  • 46% of 9-11 year-olds are "sometimes" or "very often" on diets
  • 82% of their families are "sometimes" or "very often" on diets
  • 91% of women recently surveyed on a college campus had attempted to control their weight through dieting
  • In a study of girls aged 9-15, more than 50 per cent claimed they exercised to lose weight, nearly 50 per cent claimed they reduced food intake in order to lose weight, and approximately 5 per cent claimed to use their parents' diet pills or laxatives in order to lose weight. 22% dieted "often" or "always" 95% of all dieters will regain their lost weight in 1-5 years 35% of "normal dieters" progress to pathological dieting. Of those, 20-25% progress to partial or full-syndrome eating disorders
  • 25% of American men and 45% of American women are on a diet on any given day Americans spend over $40 billion on dieting and diet-related products each year

Fatality:
  • Over one person's lifetime, at least 50,000 individuals will die as a direct result of their eating disorder.
  • Without treatment, up to twenty percent (20%) of people with serious eating disorders die. With treatment, that number falls to two to three percent (2-3%).
  • With treatment, about sixty percent (60%) of people with eating disorders recover. They maintain healthy weight. They eat a varied diet of normal foods and do not choose exclusively low-cal and non-fat items. They participate in friendships and romantic relationships. They create families and careers. Many say they feel they are stronger people and more insightful about life in general and themselves in particular than they would have been without the disorder.
  • In spite of treatment, about twenty percent (20%) of people with eating disorders make only partial recoveries. They remain too much focused on food and weight. They participate only peripherally in friendships and romantic relationships. They may hold jobs but seldom have meaningful careers. Much of each paycheck goes to diet books, laxatives, jazzercise classes, and binge food.
  • The remaining twenty percent (20%) do not improve, even with treatment. They are seen repeatedly in emergency rooms, eating disorders programs, and mental health clinics. Their quietly desperate lives revolve around food and weight concerns, spiraling down into depression, loneliness, and feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
  • Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any psychological disease

Quick statistics
  • There are more than 8500 different web sites that deal with anorexia
  • Eating Disorders affect 5 - 10 millions Americans and 70 million individuals worldwide.
  • Approximately 1 million males have an eating disorder.
  • At least 50,000 individuals will die as a direct result of an eating disorder.
  • The most common behavior that will lead to an eating disorder is dieting.
  • It is estimated that currently 11% of high school students have been diagnosed with an eating disorder.
  • Time Magazine reports that 80% of all children have been on a diet by the time that they have reached the fourth grade.
  • 15% of young women have substantially disordered eating attitudes and behaviors.
  • The diet and diet related industry is a 50 billion dollar a year enterprise.
  • 81% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat.
  • 51% of 9 and 10 year old girls feel better about themselves if they are on a diet.
  • 2 out of 5 women and 1 out of 5 men would trade 3 to 5 years of their life to achieve their goal body weight.
  • The average woman is 5"4? and weighs 140 pounds. The average model is 5"11? and weighs 117 pounds. Most fashion models are thinner than 98% of American women.
  • If today?s mannequins were actual human women, based on theoretical body fat percentages, they would probably cease to menstruate.
  • 91% of women surveyed on a college campus had attempted to control their weight through dieting, 22% dieted "often" or "always."
  • 35% of "normal dieters" progress to pathological dieting. Of those, 20-25% progress to partial or full syndrome eating disorders.
  • The mortality rate for anorexia is higher than for any other psychological disorder. In fact, it?s the number one cause of death among young women.
  • Five to ten percent of anorexics die within ten years of onset, 18-20 percent die within twenty years of onset, and only 50 percent report ever being cured ? 0.5% - 3.7% of females suffer from Anorexia Nervosa in their lifetime.
  • 1.1% - 4.2% of females suffer from Bulimia Nervosa in their lifetime.
  • 2% - 5% of the American population experience Binge Eating Disorder. 10%-25% of all those battling anorexia will die as a direct result of the eating disorder.
  • Up to 19% of college aged women in America are bulimic. Bulimia often occurs in athletes such as gymnasts, wrestlers, dancers, horse jockeys, football players, and runners.
  • A Study conducted by Cornell University found that 40% of male football players surveyed engaged in some sort of disordered eating behavior. Men constitute as many as 40% of those exhibiting Binge Eating Disorder.
  • The onset of Binge Eating Disorder usually occurs during the late adolescence or in the early twenties.
  • According to The Center for Mental Health Services 90% of those who have eating disorders are women between the ages of 12 and 25.
  • According to a recent study, over 1/2 the females between the ages of 18-25 would prefer to be run over by a truck then be fat, and 2/3 surveyed would rather be mean or stupid

Looking at those numbers is it not scary is it not terrifying that so many people are suffering? ... I think to myself how bad this is for me and then think again to how many people are living similar situations... it is sad ...what is this world coming to? ... and then again there is nothing happening to stop it in schools there is no one telling the people how very dangerous it is

ashley-kate

<edit by Admin for formatting>

Eunoia

I agree, great post! some of those stats really get you thinking, espec. the last section...
at least 50,000 individuals will die as a direct result of an eating disorder
that's FIFTY-THOUSAND people DYING as a DIRECT result of an ed. that's scarry!!!!! if you put all of those people together in one place, that'd be twice the average size of a university population!!! or a small town...

The average woman is 5"4? and weighs 140 pounds. The average model is 5"11? and weighs 117 pounds. Most fashion models are thinner than 98% of American women
I wish magazines would post this below every image but that's wishful thinking. too bad that the general population believes those models are the ideal and norm!

thanks for the comments i decided to put that post up because well the fact is my french teacher really enjoyed my presentation on the subject and asked many questions? such as do i have any solutions? :laugh: what should be done in schools and i was full of them i am repulsed to see that so many cases are going without care and that so many people are dying when they say 1% people don't think it is much but when the numbers are there it sort of wakes you up a bit to see what is really happening like it is hard to believe people are dying for perfection ... and it is even harder to believe that i am in all of it and that? ? i am allowing myself to sink that low :-o ... the project really helped open my eyes although i am not saying well "lets go get an extra greacy pizza and eat it :|" but i am saying that i just got my priorities in order.. i realise that i give suggestions to everybody else but to me it is like well who cares if i dye of it they will finally think i am thin but then i think again.... will i every be thin ... enough? .. am i thin now ... or am i fat what am i really i look at the stats and when i saw 140? for 5'4 welll i realise that i am no were near that weight and it is supposubly the average weight... i am confused i see those number and think oh my god it is huge in my head but my twined sister is probably the same weight and i find her beautifull.
hope these stats help others..

ashley :cool:

Eunoia

I think it's great that you were able to shed some light on ed's in your class and even throw in your ideas on prevention & treatment etc. I think after a while, I kind of assumed that whatever I know others know too, but when you start digging you realize a lot of people don't 'understand' ed's or other disorders, and I guess that's understandable, but sometimes it also doesnt' take a whole lot to open people's eyes about things. Do you guys have a school magazine/newspaper? some schools do that, you could submit your presentation or parts of it (ie. the stats) and see if they can print it in the next edition so that students/teachers/administrators can read it? It's a great way to raise awareness about these things- I will never forget how a couple of students and I did that and a counsellor at the school was shocked about si and how we knew about it and she knew pretty much nothing about it- so you never know who will be touched or benefit from you passing on your knowledge.

it's always difficult knowing right from wrong, especially when you feel like you know what's 'right' for others but not for yourself, b/c you measure yourself by different standards. something I was thinking about though is that you said who cares if you die b/c then they will finally think you're thin- besides the fact that you do care on some level and many other people care about you, what's ironic is that you think that they will finally 'see' that you're thin but what I'm thinking is, why would they even think that? they will see a very sad story about someone thinking that thin is what they wanted to see, but it's not at all. I don't know if that makes sense. what you see in your sister is the truth- she's beautiful just the way she is, I feel the same way about family & friends in my life, but again, I understand when it comes to ourselves it just doesn't work that way- but you gotta hold on to the belief that one day, you will be able to look at yourself and think your're beautiful just the way you are.? :-(

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.