More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Stigma
cbtish Blog
October 7, 2010

The BABCP recently lent its support to a confused and misleading media campaign about stigma and mental health. Now it has added to the confusion by publishing an embarrassing case study showcasing the worst kind of failed CBT.

Stigma has a corrosive effect in society, causing exclusion and disadvantage to people who are, in many cases, already disadvantaged in some way. So a well-funded media campaign that promotes stigma should be very worrying.

It is even more worrying when a body like the BABCP, which ought to be thoughtful and responsible in its public statements, sides with those who seek to promote stigma around mental health. Of course, it is not really the BABCP itself that has done this ? not really the membership of the Association, who were never asked ? only the few academics who run the BABCP have been sucked in.

Rational conclusions
To understand what they have been sucked into, it helps to understand what stigma is and why it is such a bad thing.

In essence, stigma is when one characteristic of a person is taken as a sign of some other characteristic. For example, if a man walks with a limp and you take that as a sign that he cannot make his own way up stairs, that?s stigma. It is typical of stigma that a slight disability is taken as a sign of much greater disability.

Rational conclusions are not stigma, though. For example, if a man has a broken leg and gets about with crutches, and you take that as a sign that he cannot run to catch a bus, that is a rational conclusion, not stigma.

The effect of stigma is to disrupt relationships, with the result that someone who is stigmatized is treated unfairly. For example, if you stigmatize the man who limps, you might take it upon yourself to be his carer, and lead him to the lift. In that case, stigma has created a false relationship between the two of you, because he does not need you to be his carer. Not seeing him as an equal might then change other aspects of your relationship for the worse, too.

There are, of course, more severe examples. A common one is that when someone has schizophrenia, it might be taken as a sign that he is potentially violent and dangerous. Or when someone has depression, it might be taken as a sign that she is irresponsible and lazy. These false assumptions about people, caused by stigma, can sometimes be much more damaging to the quality of their lives than the original illness.

Stigma causes people to be treated as if they are unequal to the rest of us, less deserving of our respect and trust, and less capable of independence and freedom than they really are. In the case of people who suffer stigma around mental illness, it often leads to false and harmful assumptions about the severity and nature of their condition.

A common characteristic of stigma is that a single attribute is taken as a sign that defines the whole person. For example, the man who walks with a limp might be stigmatized as being ?nothing but a cripple?, as if there is nothing more to him than his limp.

Joanne Bramley
Joanne Bramley?s story was presented at an open meeting run by the BABCP in Manchester prior to its conference in July, and then published in the BABCP?s in-house magazine, CBT Today (September 2010, not yet available online at the time of writing).

Events in Joanne?s childhood that she still finds upsetting caused her to suffer from social anxiety ever since. It has meant that she could not participate at college, and it has made it difficult for her to find employment.

In an interview with the Services Manager of the charity Anxiety UK, Joanne was asked what stigma she had encountered because of her disorder. She replied:
I have always felt a great sense of shame and embarrassment?
Instead of answering the question, Joanne simply described her social anxiety! Stigma is when other people take something about you as a sign that you are worse off then you really are, but Joanne does not describe that happening at all.

Clearly, Joanne has never suffered any stigma that she is aware of, or she does not know what the word means. Presumably, the Services Manager who asked the question and the editors of CBT Today do not know what the word means either.

The worst that Joanne can say about other people?s attitudes is:
?social anxiety in particular is not well understood, or even heard of, by some people.
It?s interesting to examine what that means. If social anxiety were well understood by people, how would Joanne?s life be different? The difference would be that she would only have to say that she suffers from social anxiety, and other people would take that as a sign of all kinds of other things about her. They would instantly make assumptions about her disabilities, without having to be told.

So Joanne is complaining that she is not being stigmatized enough for her liking! When people hear she has social anxiety, they are so ignorant that they continue to accept her as a normal person.

Wanting to be stigmatized is part of Joanne?s illness. She would prefer to be the victim of other people?s assumptions, than to have to relate to other people herself:
?to try to explain how it makes you feel to others can be excruciating.
In fact, social anxiety is very easy to explain to people, because every normal person has known what it is like to be shy or nervous at times. They are completely normal feelings. They become a mental illness when they are inappropriate and overwhelming, which they are for Joanne.

Treatment
Two terrible things have happened in Joanne?s life. The first was that she developed social anxiety. The second was the lifestyle CBT treatment she received for her social anxiety.

Over the years, she had psychotherapy and medication that had no permanent benefits. She remained ill. But then she tried computerized CBT. Interacting with the computer meant that she did not have to relate to a person. The computer program allowed her to redefine her social anxiety as a permanent disability:
I liked the idea of the anonymity of working on a computer as opposed to speaking to a therapist about my problems and having to bring up upsetting events from my past.
By working with the program, Joanne discovered a way to avoid dealing with those events in her past that caused her illness, a way to postpone recovery forever. She has now redefined her whole existence in terms of her social anxiety. It has become her identity, in the same way that the man?s limp became his identity through stigma. She works as a volunteer for Anxiety UK, using the charity for support, and using ?CBT skills? to maintain her illness:
In this supportive environment I have been able to put into practice coping skills which I have learnt from CBT?
The stigma Joanne suffers is that her social anxiety, a treatable and curable condition, is being taken as a sign of permanent disability and exclusion. The false assumptions imposed on Joanne are that she needs permanent support and must permanently struggle with ?CBT skills? in order to get by in life, when in reality a competent therapist could cure her in a matter of months.

At last, Joanne has found the stigma she always wanted.

Eeyore

Hi David,
Very interesting thread. I definitely agree with you about how people can be stigmatized because of having a mental illness. I once had a doctor in Waterloo (a General Practioner) who asked me 3 times in 15 minutes if I had any thoughts of killing myself or other people, that is, even after I replied "no" to the repeated question. I felt like just because I had a psychiatric problem, she autimatically assumed that I would be a threat to others or myself. However, after seening her on a number of occassions, I think she became to realize that I was not going to harm anyone. I could understand that when I was experiencing voices telling me to kill myself - that it would be cause for concern at that time, however when she asked me that question, I was not experiencing these voices at that time. When I was experiencing those voices, I was admitted to the hospital and stayed for about 1 month. I think she is a good doctor, I just felt that she kind of had this preconceived notion that people with schizophrenia are violent, when in fact, people with schizophrenia are more afraid of other people doing harm to them.
Thanks,
Eeyore

My biggest concern was doctors using the label mental illness as a form of stigmatization. Until I got a wonderful new family doc in January, I had no idea that I had been listed as having 8 mental illnesses. This is really bizarre considering that I didn't have a clue. I was definitely not being treated for having them. The treatment all stopped in 2004 when I did some testing for employment supports and the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder and bipolar depression were formally ruled out.

That same testing also showed I had a lot of strengths; good intellect, a healthy adaptive approach to pain, etc. The results were so great in my books, that I shouted hallelujah and shared them with everyone, including the workers with the community mental health program. That's when they immediately cut the services all off. They said no mental illness, no service, and off they went.

Once I got over the shock I realized it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was so motivated by learning how much I can do, how much I was capable of, that I couldn't wait to tackle the world. I got a certificate in web design, was in a job placement for 4 months, and then eventually got a full-time job (in a call-centre, not as a web designer) that I held for 18 months. The only reason the job is now gone is we had an Access Bus strike. I was shaving off hours of sleep so that I was sleeping only 4 hours per night, and I managed to sustain this for 4 months so I would have enough time to motor the 11 kms to work in my power wheelchair where I had a spare battery charger and could charge my chair so I could motor even further to go to stores or run other types of errands.

The thing is, the stress of pushing myself so fast and so hard for so long, and on far too little sleep, led to burn out. That's when another, relatively new, family doctor diagnosed me as having an adjustment disorder. He refused to acknowledge in a letter to work, that some other option for transportation or in home supports needed to be found so it would help to lighten the load. The doctor eventually fired me so I was without for another 4 months. And then the miracle happened; I got this new, fantastic, and so incredibly supportive family doctor.

She has taken the time to read through my file - the whole thing - and when she was done, she said did you know you had 8 mental illnesses? Huh? I didn't even know I had one. I certainly was being given any medication or seeing a therapist or counsellor to treat me for one. Here is what I supposedly had. (I should add that part of the problem was that I had 5 family docs in a span of 6 years and, in the old clinic, they didn't take the time to fully read my file so they could get to know me. They would see the frustration from barriers or health care issues related to my physical disability not getting the proper follow through treatment, so I guess they were labelling me).

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Somatization Disorder
  • Psychogenic Movement Disorder
  • Histronic Personality Disorder
  • Schizoid Personality Disorder
  • Borderline Personality Disorder
  • ... and the best of all... Dementia!

This revelation now begs the question. What are these types of mental illnesses really?

I am a person who is highly motivated, very lively, thrives on being told what is positive; what I am good for, etc.

However, if I feel caged or I get told too often what I can't do, or the barriers to the wheelchair prevent me from leading a healthy and normal life, I will exhibit some of the symptoms that are listed for some of the personality disorder and adjustment disorder labels.

I will also get depressed.

So, can positive encouragement and an investment in additonal supports to help better identify ones strengths, interests, and aptitudes, erradicate at least some of these labels? I don't know, but I know that poverty can also add to the problem in a big way as well.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.