More threads by David Baxter PhD

foghlaim

just rang g.p's office and renewed script... but told sec to leave the seroquel off.

i'm staying on the dropped doses as per caution given by Everybody.. might stay on them for a month now.. and then reduce again..

i'll see as time goes.

nsa

foghlaim

Phoenix... an honest answer to your queston... I haven't a clue... sorry
few months anyway..

i've left the effexor alone for now.. at 225..(in the mornings) and cut the lithuim down another wee bit, approx 62.5mgs.. since last night.

things are changing.. but i expected this... which is why the effexor is staying the same for now.

foghlaim

I don't want to start another thread so i'm posting this here... ( moderators please edit if necessary).
I can now feel more than i did...I want to si more than i did before.. I want to be able to talk to someone on a regular basis (a therapist) but that is not gonna happen.. for me there's no point in taking meds without being able to see a therapist. I do at the min want out...

I have listened (read) all the posts relating to reducing my meds... even those on other threads. I do know it is not wise to do what i'm doing. I also appreciate the concern shown by all who posted.. therefore i have decided not to post anything else on this topic (after this) as I feel it is upsetting to others on here and that is certainly not my intention.

my thanks to all.

nsa

just mary

nsa, you're not upsetting others at all, you're just talking/writing. if you want to stop your meds thats your decision, no one is going to take offense. just keep talking to us, i like your posts and your insights, meds or no meds. just keep talking.

you're important.

jm

Halo

NSA

I don't think that you are upsetting anyone on here at all. I do think that you may be misinterpreting the upsetting feeling from some people with that of concern for you. I completely agree with you when you say that taking meds without the support of a therapist is pointless. Now I don't mean for you to stop taking all your meds (that is NOT my suggestion) but I know that you have spoken before about a great therapist that you are waiting to see but will be a lengthy wait. A thought that I had was can you not see someone else now and keep waiting for this other person and switch when the time comes. I don't know if this is an option but I do think that the combination of medication and therapy is best.

Like I said, this is just my opinion and again I am not telling you to stop your medication but I do see your point about therapy.

Again, I don't believe that you are upsetting anyone by verbalizing what is going on with you and within you. Please continue to be free with your thoughts and words.....even if it is on this topic.

Anyway, NSA please take care of yourself and keep posting.
YT
Nancy

nsa i also think you are confusing concern with upsetting people. yes i am concerned but there is no sense in me getting upset with you. i never was upset with you, just concerned. as david said it's your life, your body and your decision. we all have a right to decide for ourselves what we are going to do with meds and therapy. we all recognize this.

you are not upsetting us, nsa. please keep posting. i think you still need our support and we need yours.

also i think nancy's suggestion to see someone else in the meantime is not a bad one. it might not be exactly what you need but it would be more help than having no one to speak with at all. i can understand your frustration as i would have a very hard time knowing i was on meds but not getting the therapy i needed. i don't know how much you have investigated your options but maybe it's worth revisiting. have you considered looking into support groups for depression in your area?

foghlaim

I kept my apt this morning.. with the psych..saw the guy i really really do not like.. and guess what!! he actually cut the effexor down to 75 for the next three weeks and then down to 37.5 for three weeks after that.
He never offered any kind of opinion as to whether it was too soon or that i might relapse.. in fact he didn't offer any suggestions of any kind at all.

i think my dislike of this person is justified... he doesn't give a ***. I felt like an item on a conveyor belt.. just passing thru..
"oh you want to come off the tablets... okay here u are.. see you in 6weeks"
i even mentioned the menopause as maybe being the cause of the past events.. all he said was i doubt it.

and that was it... less than 5mins..
see him again in 6wks... not likely.. by that time i willbe off the effexor and i'm not gonna waste my time with this guy.

okay enuff rambling.. don't ya think!! :)

nsa

nsa i am sorry you're stuck with someone who doesn't seem to care. unfortunately there are people like that in every profession. it's not a reflection of your worth but a reflection of him. he's either too stressed, too bored, too insensitive, or struggling with his own troubles to be able to care for others.

it sounds like you don't have a fixed person to go see. is there any way you can get referred to someone a little more helpful and caring? do you have any sort of doctor or other health professional who is sympathetic who may be able to help you find a solution? it's just that having the proper support from the health professionals makes such a difference in our recovery. i can imagine you feel angry and not important right now, and that does not help whatsoever.

again i don't know what your choices are in your situation but keep trying to find someone. i know you are on a waiting list for one specific therapist but in the meantime i would still try to find another option to tide you over. even if it's just a sympathetic family doctor.

last but not least, here at the forum we all DO care about how you are feeling. :hug:

Hi Nsa

I'm sad for you also. Sometimes we just get 'stuck' with people that really don't seem to care - when its their profession to take an interest. Many moons ago, I had bad experiances with my psych's and social workers - to the point that I began to hate every single one of them.

(I later decided to get into the profession myself!!)

All I want to say is that your hurt and anger is justified - the 'i doubt it' bothered me alot. Did he give you reasons why he doubted it? like, your too young/or perhaps not experiancing hot flushes etc? That kind of dismissing attitute really gets up my nose.

Rest assured their are psych's out there that are more involved in their patients, but from what I remember about something you've said before, you're stuck with this one because he's govrnment funded or something? I don't know what to suggest, perhaps phoning a 'superviser' or a control office or somthing, and just telling them how unhelpful your finding the current situation?

Halo

NSA

Alls I can say is that I can relate with the issue of not liking or wanting to go back to see your doctor for meds and them not really caring. I am there now and it does suck.

I feel for both of us :(

foghlaim

okay after argueing with myself for a long time...i decided to see if there was any way to see some one else.. i have made numerous phone calls and would you believe i can't find anyone to answer my question on changing from where i am now to someplace else..
I think maybe fate is tellingme something. I prob meant to handle this on me own!!. Well i tried and now i fed up!! (among other things)

So be it.. at least I do have all ye guys here... T.G!!

that has nothing to do with fate and probably everything to do with bureaucracy. keep trying nsa.. i know you are fed up but i am so glad you made a round of phone calls, it's a good step even if for now nothing has come of it. why not go see your family doctor? and if he tries to brush you off just keep insisting and say you need help with your disease. you have to stand up for yourself so you can get help to stop feeling so awful.

also are there any kind of depression support groups in your area you could join? you may meet others who may have more info on who they are seeing.

foghlaim

thanks BBC.. there are prob lots of groups but i hate groups... don't function well at all in them.. so not going down that route.. good idea tho thank you.

as per the docs script.. i've dropped down to 75mgs effexor.. and i can feel the diff... aahh,, not nice.. might re adjust a bit to balance things.. like take i.5 tabs instead of just the one.. for a while.. then drop it..
I did make more fone calls.. and still i get nowhere.. one person did suggest i go back to the gp and get another refferal letter but wasn't sure if that would do any good.
not going to bother.. what's the point.. the waiting list are mostlikely just as long in any other area anyway...
and now i'm rambling again... sorry

NSA...

Halo

NSA

I do think that going back to your gp to get another referral letter might be a good idea because you just never know what the waiting times are going to be. Something may come up that might surprise you. Maybe there will be a cancellation somewhere or something happens and you will get pushed up on the list.....it does matter and it would do some good. I think that you should bother as you are worth it and there is a point to trying to help yourself.

Just my opinion and as my favorite saying is......you can take this suggestion under advisement if you wish. :)

Take care

nsa i am so proud of you for making the effort and making those phone calls even though you were saying it wasn't going to do any good. i know nothing has come of it (unfortunately) but i agree with nancy, go see your family doctor anyway because you never know. if it turns out as you expected well at least you know you tried everything you could possibly think of. i think that counts for something.

as for the group thing, well i didn't realize that doesn't work for you but i can understand it. i can't think of any other suggestions for the moment but if i come up with something i will let you know.

oh one other thing you could ask your family doctor to keep an eye open for a cancellation on a waiting list. if he won't do that then just keep asking once every couple of months or so.

well done nsa for still trying even though you didn't think there was any point. we have to keep trying because you just never know. :hug:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That's good news, fog. It's a pity that anyone has to wait that long for an appointment but at least it's finally a step in the right direction for you.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.