More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Storm Clouds: Stigma - A Losing Battle?
by Heather Hennigar, Ottawa Citizen
Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Just when I think we have taken some steps toward erasing the stigma, I realize we have taken two steps back. I'm just being a realist. Nothing of significance is being done. Nothing. I am one voice and if I could eradicate the stigma all on my own, I would. Nobody seems to want to listen to me.

My latest attempt was contacting Stephane Dion's campaign office. What I ended up getting was a dubious, cut and paste response from someone who probably does not care in the least what the Liberal platform is all about. I'm thinking it was a young, unmotivated, "only-there-for-the-paycheck" kind of person. Every single politician in the running is promising some element of improved health care, but not one candidate has the courage to tackle mental illness.

And to be brutally honest, there is not one single hospital in this region that has promised to dedicate an ongoing awareness campaign for mental health issues. Not one. The only time there is anything positive in the news about a hospital doing great work against the stigma, is when they need money to build a new hospital or for an expansion. It's not rocket science: what we need to target are our young people in high schools and individuals the workplace. One in five people suffer and most people spend their time at school or work. It's a simple and highly effective concept - yet nobody wants to invest the time, resources or money. At the end of the day - it's all politics. And that sucks. It sucks for the depressed person too ashamed to admit they are suicidal for fear of losing their job or, worse yet, government programs (like CPP) that will not approve an application when you have a severe anxiety disorder or major depression. So that person is forced to go on welfare, as a last resort. Unbelievable.

I am still motivated to do the work I do - there's no fear of that happeneing. It just means I will need to take things to the next level. I will never give up on getting the message out that anyone could suffer a mental illness: it does not discriminate and it could come knocking on your door at any time - just like it did to me.

And to all the candidates running for Prime Minister - none of you deserve it and none of you will be getting my vote.

Heather Hennigaris a 37 year old Business Development Professional here in Ottawa. She has battled (postpartum depression) major depressive disorder, anxiety, bulimia and obsessive compulsive disorder since the age of 17. Heather was the original poster woman for the Royal Ottawa Hospital's "You Know Who I Am" campaign to raise awareness about mental illness. In March 2007, Heather was one of four recipients of the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre's "Inspiration Awards". Originally from Truro, Nova Scotia, Heather has called Ottawa home for the past 15 years. Her seven year old daughter Katie, is her hero and her inspiration.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.