More threads by Cat Dancer

I am really struggling with flashbacks of a trauma that happened in 2003. :( I had done ok with this the last several years, but all of a sudden it's bothering me. I am breaking down crying, feeling scared, feeling panicked and unsafe. Blaming myself, wanting to harm myself. Wanting to run away. Sigh. I thought I was over this. I really did. I am working hard at distracting myself. It's just hard. Life is hard for all of us. :(

Re: struggling

IT is hard CD i agree totally but don't harm you remember we have suffered enough wrap up in a warm blanket or hug your children and put on some quiet music ok Know you are safe now im here ok you are not alone hugs

Ftbwgil

Hi Cat Dancer

Im so sorry for the pain you are feeling. I can relate as I have had very good moments and then suddenly out of nowhere stuff creeps up and its devastating. I think the key here is your exact words
I had done ok with this the last several years, this downturn will pass and there will be even more good things after you get through this. I know myself everytime I go through a out of nowhere downturn and persevere it gets even better than before. Roll up your sleeves and work this situation out... talk about it, write about while always having some positive notes nearby such as the love you have for your kids ... yourself ... etc. and most importantly
1. connect to the emotion feel the emotion
2. Tell yourself its over it was not your fault
3. Put closure to the situation say it out loud write it on paper that yes it happened, yes it hurt, yes it was not your fault and that it happenned in the past and that your own thoughts are what is causing you pain as the event is over and it is not re happening.

There is a lot to live for today and talking about hurting yourself is like giving power back to the abuser. Take that power back and focus that power of love and understanding in areas that will make you feel good

Hey CD: Flashbacks are a tough cookie! We remember the sensations, the temperature, our breathing changes, we become frozen in that time zone. The difference is, we can practice our breathing, open our eyes and see what is around us, and use our voice to tell ourselves that we are no longer in that situation. The pain may feel real but it can no longer harm us. The tears may come, but we are in control. And, if we don't feel in control, we have reminders around us and people who care to remind us that we are okay and everything will be alright. YOU ARE OKAY CD! Please do not forget that.

Give yourself grace to experience the warmth and compassion.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.