More threads by desiderata

desiderata

I have to remind myself how good I really do have it sometimes.

Not often enough though. It usually dawns on me when some good fortune comes my way. Not so much when misfortune happens or when I am consumed by the day-to-day worries and stress. I am a realist and see things from both sides; the good and the bad. Unfortunately I usually see the negative first and focus too much on that.

I am trying to change this way of thinking. That is, not everything can be "peachy" or that positivity can be forced into every situation or issue but to keep things in perspective and move on.

Example: A co-worker offered me 4 tickets to the PGA tournament in Kohler WI. ( the last of 4 major professional golf tounaments of the year). He has a wife that is sick and his son's wife is expecting any day. I felt bad for him not being able to go and my two sons and one of their friends said they would like to go. So I took the tickets. He had already paid for them well in advance-$472.00. He said he didn't have much bargaining power with so little time to try and sell them. I do like to golf and now I feel obligated to put them to good use.

Here's the dilemma, I drive an hour and a half round trip to work every day. This tournament is over 2 hours away and I really don't like to drive too much anymore than I have to. I've been to different professional sporting events but never a golf event. It looks like it could be a little boring. And then there are all the rules to follow, the crowds, probably $3.00-$5.00 for a bottle of water, etc.

After whining about this to myself, I relaized these are petty cries compared to my co-worker's issues and all he wanted was for someone to get good use out of these tickets.

I will go.

I don't know what to expect but will keep an open mind and if anything, enjoy being outside with my sons and their friend. My family is happy and healthy. I will try to keep things in good perspective and not let the petty things get the upper hand.

I will try not to take so much for granted.

You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

desiderata

The kids wanted to see Tiger so we saw him teeing off on 18. He hit his drive into the gallery just like Dustin Johnson who grounded his club in what was supposed to be a sand bunker. What a joke. There are over 1200 sand bunkers through 18 holes and spectators were walking or standing in half of them!

Retired

Dustin Johnson who grounded his club in what was supposed to be a sand bunker

Talk about taking things for granted!!

Basd on reports, the players were advised before the tournament that all sand traps were in play as bunkers. We can only speculate that Johnson was not paying attention, perhaps from the pressure of the competition, combined with the huge crowd around him playing a shot from an unexpected lie. Nevertheless he apeared gracious in defeat in the media interviews. (as much as one can be gracious in defeat).

To your point: we shouldnot take anything for granted, pay attention to what we're doing, and appreciate what we have.

but never (been to) a golf event. It looks like it could be a little boring

How do you feel about watching a golf tournament after that experience?

desiderata

Actually, the design of the course is such that there are mounds and hills all over making visibility poor except for watching the players hit one particular shot on that hole. We decided to nestle down on no. 16 a par 5, with a great view of lake Michigan, a nice strong breeze blowing towards the lake, and an area where the players hit to the green. We left that area as the leaders started to come our way and the crowds got heavy. We watched the tournament on a jumbo screen by the main gate until Dustin Johnson missed his putt on 18. There were a lot of other people who had the same idea as we did.
It was an experience-mostly good a little confusing at times but a beautiful day to watch golf with my boys. I'm sure it's something they won't forget.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

One point I want to make to Steve. I see you're also a golfer.
Have you ever seen spectators standing in bunkers at Augusta?

Retired

Have you ever seen spectators standing in bunkers at Augusta?

I've never been to a professional golf tournament in person, and it's one of the things on my "to do list". It seems the reason spectators were in bunkers at this course is because of the design of the course. The course is built around bunkers, and in order to accomodate the galleries, people were alowed to stand in some of them.

When I play with my friends, we're not sticklers for the rules, but I can see when millions of dollars are involved, the strictest interpretations of the rules need to be followed. My guess is Johnson was just overwhelmed by the pressure of the moment, and lost his situational awareness.

After all, if these guys want to compete as professionals, they have to expect to follow strict rules and conversely expect fair but strict interpretation of those rules.

desiderata

You're right, the course is not spectator-friendly.
However, if crowd control was such an issue why does the PGA sell so many tickets and not consider it a sell-out like other entertainment settings?
Greed? Or golf realistically is not set-up to be a spectator sport to accomodate the growing number of fans?
In my mind any field of play should be off limits to fans whether it be a tennis court, basketball court, or football field.
Even if that meant us not being able to go.
It's the integrity of the game that's at stake. It could have made the difference between a young man earning a 1.35 million dollar check vs. whatever he received.
I appreciate your point of view but I side with the defense and say "what sand trap."
The memo stated that not all the bunkers may not be raked and there may be footprints in some of them.
It didn't say there would be a thousand people standing where the ball landed and it wasn't even out of bounds.
Enough said from me. What's done is done.

Retired

I side with the defense and say "what sand trap."

I can't disagree with you, and if it were a pick up game, it would be hard to press the point. Although I am not an ardent spectator sport fan, I have seen disputes about picky rules in hockey and baseball, and since I am even less interested in other sports, I suppose those disputes occur there too. I've seen disputes about the dimensions of hockey sticks and the construction of baseball bats, and we've all seen baseball managers arguing rules with umpires.

why does the PGA sell so many tickets and not consider it a sell-out like other entertainment settings?
Greed?

Like all professional sports businesses, it seems they need to gorge themselves on exorbitant ticket prices and overcrowded venues to pay the over inflated salaries made by the sporting primadonas. So I guess we both agree on why there were too many people on too little real estate at the golf course:lol:

Thanks for sharing your experience..I watched it on and off on Sunday and thought about all the golf balls I would have probably lost on that course:eek:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.