More threads by BlackCat22

My 15 yr old son has just been diagnosed with Anxiety. It?s something I have suspected for many years so it was not a surprise. If anything, it was a relief. He is under a psychologist's care at the moment (no medication at present), though he has truly been working with her only the last few weeks ? it takes him a long time to trust and warm up to someone. I am hoping that someone can help me with an issue he?s having with sleep disturbances. He has ALWAYS had issues with sleep, with falling asleep on his own, and staying asleep, ever since he was a little guy. Over the last few years he?s been on and off, better and worse. There?d be periods when he slept in his own room relatively well, and there would also be periods when he was anxious and either would not be able to fall asleep till very late (we?re talking 2:00-3:00 am), or would have to come into our bedroom and basically sleep on the floor beside our bed.

In Spring he went through a very traumatic experience (with police involvement, long story) and has not been the same since. He hardly ever sleeps. He stays up till very late, is impossible to get up in the mooring, at school he (understandably) falls asleep in class and then comes home and is exhausted. He?ll often catch a nap, then can?t fall asleep at night again. He tries to use caffeine in the morning (though I discourage it as much as I can) to get himself going. It?s a vicious circle and I don?t know how to break it and help him.

He tells me that as soon as he tries to fall asleep, he is basically gripped by one of the following fears:
1. He is in a coma and what he is experiencing is not reality but a figment of his imagination while his body is in a hospital.
2. He is actually in a dream instead of reality. And how would he know whether he is in a dream or not? (I have tried to tell him that if he either can?t change anything by will or can account for a logical continuity of the last 20 min, then he is NOT in a dream but it doesn?t seem to help much)
3. He is going to die when he sleeps.

When he does manage to fall asleep, he often wakes up completely freaked out.

I have told him to let his psychologist know what is happening. She is aware of this issue, but it has been escalating in the last few weeks. I?m wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, and maybe knows how I can help him? Or has some idea what is going on based on his symptoms? Is there anything I can do to help him?

I know my husband and I should talk to his psychologist, but because of the Ontario law she is working for him, not us, and it?s a slippery slope. Basically whatever we tell her in a meeting she is obliged to repeat to him but can?t tell us anything he says to her . It certainly does not make for a good, open discussion. I am so worried about him and also very tired, as his nightly troubles disturb our sleep as well.

Thank you all for listening.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I don't have much to offer in the way of advice, but I just wanted to say I'm thinking of son and you during these difficulties.

The only other thing I'd say is be sure to offer warm familial interaction each day if possible... perhaps even something like card games or board games for a period of time in the evening, can offer feelings of warmth and bonding...

Sometimes I also wonder how natural it really is, sleeping in a very quiet alone room away from family members.... I've known quite a few people who have found it easier to fall asleep with a bit more proximity to some quiet sounds of activity / other people. This is just a random thought though and it may not be practicable.

Actually, falling asleep listening to audiobooks on librivox.org has been quite helpful sometimes with my insomnia - hearing different thoughts and ideas plus a voice to listen to. excelatlife.org may have some audios for anxiety.

Be reassuring and let him know that he will gradually figure things out.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Two things come to mind:

1. Make sure that his psychologist is fully aware of the extent of his sleep difficulties and anxieties. Explore the option of a joint session where you could express your concerns to him/her with your son present. If s/he is aware of the severity, she can help him learn some sleep strategies and anxiety management strategies.

2. Talk to your family doctor about ruling out physical contributors to the problem and the possibility of some medication to help him sleep.

I could be wrong but i think if your son signs a release form and puts your name and his father name on that information can be shared with you then the psychologist will be able to talk to you I too think group discussions with his psychologist can be very helpful for you son so the psychologist is kept informed of any changes happening with your son.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.