More threads by kimbercare

kimbercare

Re: Diet Pill Question

I have to lose weight (20lbs.according to my gp)...but am really tempted too to go for the quick-fix. I watch those commercials when I"m really vulnerable(hungry or tired)...and I can't help but hope,kwim? Then I give my head a shake and realize that if there was a pill for everything, boy everyone would look alike...I do need to lose weight yes, but I hope I can keep relying on my hubby and friends to keep my head on straight when I start looking for shortcuts. They are sooo dangerous, yet so tempting. So I just have decided that it will take me some time to accomplish my goal weight. I moved my scale, so I don't get caught up in the numbers...I'd rather watch my clothes fit me differently. I have my goals listed for my own sanity. My weightloss goals include a number, but they really include: being able to tuck in my tops and feel confident....gaining back my strength and ajility that I had before my surgery(hysterectomy)....able to do the stairs again.(In my area, we have a set of 500 stairs that go up/down the mountainside)I used to be able to do them, and will again. So if I lose my tummy along the way...great bonus.
I hear you...the commercials are compelling; but I've learned with my personality...anything that's compelling...isn't necessarily good for me. Hugs to all of us who struggle with self-image and eating issues.

just mary

I'm in a similar position Kim, I also need to lose about the same amount. I've used quick fixes before and they never seem to work, the weight and the behaviours always seem to return.

I've decided to make a lifestyle change this time around and stick with it. Maybe it means I just can't eat all the things I like to eat, don't get me wrong, I can have a cookie every now and then - I just can't keep them in the house. It might mean writing down a food plan, making sure I'm getting all the right nutrients, food groups, etc. And I have started this - it helps when I know that I haven't had enough vegetables or proteins.

I'm also making time to excercise once again - planning it today for the rest of the week. And I know this might not work for everyone but I do like to weigh myself - I can see the daily fluctuations and how I can easily lose or gain a pound in one day but real changes take time and the number on the scale helps me monitor that.

Anyway, good luck Kim, we can do it. :)

Take care,

jm

kimbercare

I have made lifestyle changes too. Plan my meals, snacks and I joined Curves and I walk more too with hubby. I just need to tackle the stairs again and get stronger; If I hold onto that..I do fine. I am going for my 1hour treck in an hour or so and it's snowing like crazy...I love snow.

Halo

Hi Kim and JM

I know for myself that keeping a food journal (just like a regular journal) helps a lot when trying to lose weight. For me it helps to be able to review my day and/or week and if at the end of the week when I realize that maybe I didn't do as well as I thought, I have my journal to go back to try and figure out where I may have gone astray or I could have done better.

When I keep a food journal I write down every single thing that I drink or eat along with the feelings that I have when I eat because I tend to be more of an emotional/boredom eater.

Anyway, just another helpful hint from someone who has had years of trying, attempting, achieving and attempting again to get to my goal :D

Good luck to all :hug:

just mary

Interesting article, though it made me feel like I was overly emotional and if I could only be more like a man (was Henry Higgins a contributor?). :D

I'm just kidding around Daniel, thank-you for the article - it did have some good points.

jm

Halo

Although the title had me skeptical at first, it was a good article with some helpful hints Daniel, thanks :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Not simpler - just somewhat less inclined to beat themselves up for setbacks.

Of course, like all generalizations, there are many exceptions...

of course there are many exceptions. however, i do find that women tend to analyze a lot, whereas men tend to take action. must be the difference in our brain structures :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.