More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
"Thanks Mom, for Being My ADHD Advocate"
By Jessica McCabe, ADDitude Magazine
June 10, 2017

Thank you, Mom. Thank you for listening when I told you I was struggling.

Thank you for standing up for me when my dad tried to dismiss what I was dealing with as ?normal.? I now understand ADHD is highly genetic, and it?s likely he felt that way because he had ADHD.

Thank you for taking me to get a proper evaluation so I understand my brain?s differences and don?t feel like it?s just all my fault.

Thank you for taking me to a psychiatrist, month after month, to get a new prescription. I know you were busy, but I never ran out of medication because you took the time to take me to every appointment.

Thank you for ignoring the people who judged you. I know there were many.

Thank you for understanding that there was a difference between my sister occasionally forgetting her homework and me losing or forgetting something almost every day.

Thank you for understanding that while all children can be fidgety or impulsive or get distracted, I struggled way more than the other kids my age.

I now understand it is because ADHD brains develop differently. You didn?t know that?you hadn?t done the research that I have?but you listened to me when I told you I needed help.

Because of you, I got the treatment I needed, I did better in school, I felt more confident and was able to reach my potential. Because of you, I never had to self-medicate like many with ADHD who I know.

I never sank into depression. I never gave up on myself. I never felt misunderstood. You understood. You believed me. And when you did, when you took me to a doctor who could explain to me what was happening in my brain, you took away so much shame.

Gah! I had typed something. But then nodded off. D’oh! Just wanted to say that Jessica McCabe of “ADHD Brains” on YouTube is my hero.

I follow/subscribe to her channel... She has mountains of into information!!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.