More threads by Diana

Diana

I was just wondering what the effects of a panic attack could be (physically) days after the attack. For example, would it be normal to feel slightly short of breath and drained of energy even 2 or 3 days later?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Depending on the severity of the panic attack and whether or not the anxiety/stress that triggered the panic attack continued, it could result in feeling that way for a few days, yes...

Diana

Thanks. I think I had on two nights ago. I didn't know what it was, because I don't have a history of having them. I think I only had one like this once before, about 3 years ago when I was getting ready to leave Canada. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to something, because my throat started to close up. But, I had most of the symptoms descriptive of a panic attack. Chest closing up, faint, skin tingling, dizziness, needing to sit by an open window for air. It didn't last long at all, but I still feel strange physically. I'm breathing fine, but I have a pain in my side leading up to my shoulder when I breath in deeply - feels like I pulled something, and my energy has been very low. I'm still working OK but when I get home I want to exercise and I just don't feel like I can. I have been stressed out about certain things lately, and maybe that's just it.

Link

I want to add, though, (and I have learned this from professionals and books written and recommended by professionals) that a small number of panic attacks probably won't have ANY long term effects. Having a panic attack will not take 3.2 years off your life, and it generally does not cause a heart attack. If you have a long-term lifestyle of panicking frequenly, this can contribute to heart problems, but a single panic attack is simply not medically dangerous, although it feels horrible. I used to feel very guilty after panic attacks, thinking that I would have to do something extra-healthy afterword to make up for it. Panic attacks are certainly serious, and they certainly feel awful, but one panic attack is extremely unlikely to cause permanent damage of any kind.

Link

I want to add, though, (and I have learned this from professionals and books written and recommended by professionals) that a small number of panic attacks probably won't have ANY long term effects. Having a panic attack will not take 3.2 years off your life, and it generally does not cause a heart attack. If you have a long-term lifestyle of panicking frequenly, this can contribute to heart problems, but a single panic attack is simply not medically dangerous, although it feels horrible. I used to feel very guilty after panic attacks, thinking that I would have to do something extra-healthy afterword to make up for it. Panic attacks are certainly serious, and they certainly feel awful, but one panic attack is extremely unlikely to cause permanent damage of any kind.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.