More threads by AmZ

AmZ

It looks like the end of the road for me and my therapist. I've been with her for a year, including my hospital stay of 6 months in there, so have officially been with her for 6 or 7 months.

I don't know what to make of it and how it is ending.

Herself and my psychiatrist outside of the hospital both gave me the diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder.

During my 6 month hospital stay, they (psychologist and psychiatrist) have said that they think it isn't BPD, but is major depression and anxiety.

I met with the therapist today for an hour session. We spoke for 45 minutes and she was updated as to what's been going on in the last month since she has been away on vacation. Then with 15 minutes left of the session, she said that she has an issue both ethically and professionally. She said that she isn't experienced in DBT (Dialectical behaviour therapy) which is what I need because I have Borderline Personality Disorder.

She's given me homework to look up the (proper) DSM of Borderline and have a look through it and see what I think. (Not to self-diagnose but just to read-up and gain knowledge about it).

It's really leaving me frustrated first of all, to be given different diagnosis. I know that in the end it isn't important maybe what diagnosis you have but is important that you have a psychologist that fits and can help. I like to think that my current therapist can help me, but maybe she can't? At least, she doesn't think so.

In all honesty, it's really disappointing and upsetting to think of leaving my current therapist. She has been with me through thick and thin, at the total worst times I've had up until me going in to hospital and now coming out of hospital. I wish that she would be able to help me with all the help I could possibly need. She knows me more than anyone else in the world.

It'll be tough to start off with a new therapist and I'm not sure whether I'm up for the challenge or not.

ALSO: I don't want to think it's weird or start questioning and doing 'what ifs' but she had this diagnosis for me early on when we were meeting. I wonder why she didn't do this long way back and why she's only deciding to do so now.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Then with 15 minutes left of the session, she said that she has an issue both ethically and professionally. She said that she isn't experienced in DBT (Dialectical behaviour therapy) which is what I need because I have Borderline Personality Disorder.

Did she also say she would help you to find a therapist specializing in DBT or borderline personality disorder?

AmZ

Did she also say she would help you to find a therapist specializing in DBT?

Yes, she said that she wants to set up a meeting with herself, me and the manager of the non-profit organisation and see what steps forward we will be taking. She said that she has contacts with DBT therapists and also the manager of the NPO also has contacts.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.