More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I still have a lot of customization work to do which at the moment is hampered by a very weird server permissions error which I haven't yet tracked down.

But you could help me with my to-do list by posting anything which seems to be missing or not working as expected, much as @gooblax did regarding access to the MVP private forum (now fixed) and missing old smilies (will be added back when I get time).

Just reply to this thread with any glitches you find or features you're missing.

And thanks for your patience. I may need to shut down new posting once or twice more to complete some of the tasks or troubleshooting but I'll tryb to keep any downtime to a minimum.

^Agreed.

What's the easiest way to do quote breaks? I used to hit the BB code toggle button (which works here) then hit the quote break QtBrk button (which I can't seem to find). I can see that there's a " button but then I lose who posted the quote unless I specifically want to write it in every time.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thanks, guys. :)

That QrBrk feature was nice but it was a vBulletin addon which wouldn't work with Xenforo, and there is no equivalent Xenforo addon. So the only option is to go into code mode and do it manually as you have just described.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
By the way, have you tried accessing and using the forum on mobile? The Xenforo software is fully responsive and works pretty well on my iPhone. Tapatalk no longer works and I have no plans to install it again due to multiple security concerns.

For some reason I'm not having any luck using the list buttons on mobile. Last time I successfully used it (maybe last week?) it was a bit annoying because my keyboard would pop up, the screen would scroll up, and it would hide the "numbered list" option since that was the one on the top, which meant I couldn't select it. I think I eventually got it but can't remember.

But yesterday and today, nothing happens when I hit the button.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hmmm...

There was a software upgrade I applied this morning with a lot of bug fixes. See if a hard refresh in your browser makes a difference.

Also there was a recent Chrome update which may have borked something. Chrome seems to be doing a lot of that lately. Can you try a different browser?

Thanks, found the problem. I had the basic text editor bracket button that looks like this [ ] turned on (it just appeared on when I started replying, I don't remember having turned it on.But now it's defaulting to off after I turned it off once). When I turned it off, it went back to the old behaviour with the dropdown list where it's a challenge to hit the top one. The two methods to hit it are:

1. If you're too low on the screen when you hit it, you have to scroll up then quickly try to tap the numbered list item before the box disappears.
  2. If you scroll up high enough first, then the whole box might stay on the screen, allowing you to select your option at leisure.
I prefer option 2.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The [] button should not stay as default. It is designed to revert to your last used state.

It may be a corrupted cookie on your phone. Try logging off (on your phone and with your usual browser) - that will delete cookies for this site - and then logging back on.

If that doesn't work, then my guess is it's yet another bug (of which there have been many reported) introduced by updates to the Chrome browser. With all the expertise Google has, you'd think they'd be able to learn from their past mistakes.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I love this new forum software so much, I just bought my own copy of XenForo. Since I am so used to posting in a forum format, I plan to use XenForo as a way to post (and mentally process) my ongoing thesis research and related research. I have used Wordpress, but I like forum posting a lot more. The forum format may also inspire feedback or other input more than just a blog.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I also just noticed there is autocompletion for the smilies :cool:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.