More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I received an email this morning from a reader across the ocean:

I was impressed (hailing from England) that you have a picture of Stonehenge on your page at Dr. David J. Baxter - Ottawa Psychologist

Do you see Stonehenge as a image of tranquility, wellness?

By the way I stumbled across your work, researching Bi-Polar disorder at Psychlinks Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum

Regards,

Patrick

I have always been fascinated by the early history of the British Isles. especially of the Celtic tribes and the history preceding the Roman conquest and following the collapse of the Roman empire. I've also always been aware of the emotional power of Stonehenge for me personally. But I confess I've never really stopped to consider why I thought it so fitting as a symbol for the Psychlinks web sites. This morning, after receiving Patrick's email, I did just that.

Here is my response to him:

Good morning from Canada, Patrick:

I see the Stonehenge image as many things, actually…
  • A link for individuals between the past, the present, and the future
  • A symbol of strength, endurance, and resilience: the ability to weather the storms of life and time and survive
  • A symbol of stoic tranquility, wisdom, and solid grounding
  • A link between the physical, the spiritual, and the mystical
  • A link across generations
  • Not necessarily a symbol of current wellness but the ability to persevere and to find strength to locate and retrieve what is healthy within you
And incidentally, my family is also from England. I was born in London and still have several family members and relatives in England and Scotland.

The image was cropped from a photograph taken a few years ago by my son, Daniel, a copy of which hangs in my office.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.