More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Thin Is Out
September 21, 2006
Dr. Deborah Serani

Organizers of Spain's top annual fashion show, the Pasarela Cibeles, rejected five models as being too thin to appear in this year's event.

Organizers worked with Dr. Susana Monereo of Spain's National Endocrinology Society and Dr. Basilio Moreno, an obesity consultant at Gregorio Maranon Hospital, to medically assess the models.

Organizers said they wanted to project an image of beauty and health, rather than a waif-like, heroin chic look - and to help diminish eating disorders that plague girls and women world-wide.

Any model who had a body mass index below that which was considered normal, not just by the Spanish endocrinology society, but also by the limits set by the World Health Organization guidelines, were rejected from the show.

A British Cabinet minister hoped that London's Fashion Week would follow Madrid's lead.

The Indian Health Minister, Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss, chimed in on this subject, saying India does not want waif-like young women on catwalks, acting as role models for thousands of girls who are starving themselves.

And Milan's mayor, Letizia Moratti, told a newspaper this week that she may bring the Spanish ban on underweight models to Italian shows.

On different, yet similar note, Hollywood is reporting that Flab is Fab. Actors like Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell and Paul Giamatti are helping to make the "realistic" man more marketable.

....maybe the tide is turning.

Halo

On different, yet similar note, Hollywood is reporting that Flab is Fab. Actors like Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell and Paul Giamatti are helping to make the "realistic" man more marketable.

....maybe the tide is turning.

It is great what Spain is doing and let's hope that the other countries follow suit as well. Also, let's hope the tide keeps turning in Hollywood for the women as well as the men. Now that would be an improvement :)

its about time , i shall be glad to see the back of all these anorexic looking models, I hope catalouges, magazines and such like follow suit.

poohbear

I read in this month's People magazine (with Anna Nicole and her son on the Cover) that a fashion show coordinator stated that he was expecting over 300 models to show for auditions, but only 68 came, because of the weight thing. Then, they ended the article with a statement that fashion models aren't "hurting" for work b/c of the Spain's new rule. They'll just get work in another country or here in major fashion cities (Paris/New York). Hmmm, now what was the point of the article??? --Poohbear

poohbear

Oh, and Nancy's post was cool, except all THOSE "fat/big" people are MEN!

I think the tide is still WAAAYYYYY out there for women...

--Poohbear

Halo

Actually Healthbound she is a regular judge on the show. This is her second second being a judge. She replaced Janice Dickinson. (can you tell that I am a reality tv show junkie :eek:: ) and yes she appears to be a normal healthy woman now.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.