More threads by Sophie Cecile

So lately my mood's been low and I self-injured again for the first time in a long time, have been noticing a disturbing trend in my (lack of) and I could use some support, but my therapist is away for a few weeks. Tonight I had the idea of approaching my school's "guidance counselor", (just a teacher but who is also designated as it) but I'm feeling really anxious about it. I'm worried she'll trivialize my feelings or that I'll end up embarrassing myself.

I really need to talk to a live person, but I'm really worried about approaching her.
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions to help me feel a little bit more confident about talking to her?

thanks in advance

Perhaps if you write out in a note first what you want to say then leave it on her desk asking for an appt to see her. that way she will have some idea of what it is you want to talk about before you go. I think it is a good move to have someone else to talk to especially when your therapist is away

Dragonfly

Global Moderator & Practitioner
Sophie - good for you that you recognize what you need! How about you start with something like: "
So lately my mood's been low and ..... I could use some support, but my therapist is away for a few weeks. .... but I'm feeling really anxious about it. I'm worried [that you'll] trivialize my feelings or that I'll end up embarrassing myself. I really need to talk to a live person, but I'm really worried about approaching you.....

Whether or not you disclose up front that you have hurt yourself actually might not be that impt at this point - what's important is that you figure out a way to do what you know you need to do .... Please let us know how it works out.

DonRita

If the teacher is the designated counselor then he/she is interested in helping students. If you are unsure, make an appointment and that ask him/her how this works. Ask about confidentiality. Ask how to get help. If you feel comfortable then you can continue. If not, then you can ask what kind of help is available to students. You have then opened a door.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.