Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Tis the Season for . . . Final Exams
Psychology Today blog: Head of the Class
by Dana S. Dunn, Ph.D.
December 7, 2009

It's never too late to develop basic study skills

About now, most college students are preparing for their final exams (for many first year college students, this will be their maiden voyage to the land of comprehensive testing). Preparation can mean actually studying, engaging in denial about studying, displaying free form panic, or just giving up and taking exams "cold." Not surprisingly, I recommend studying. Besides those students who will shortly take final exams, quite a few casual readers who have visions of continuing education courses, graduate school, or job retraining dancing in their heads might also benefit from some suggestions about how to study more effectively.

If it has done nothing else, academic psychology has always had a lot to say about learning and how to learn. The problem is that too few students heed the recommendations routinely made in text books (especially introductory ones) or shared by their instructors. Scoffing at such counsel is the intellectual equivalent of adopting Scrooge's "Bah! Humbug!" as a philosophy of learning. Don't do it. Here we go.

Spread out your studying. To quote Moe of the Three Stooges, "Spread out!" Psychologists often use the clunky phrase "distributed versus massed practice" to characterize this advice. Simply put, intense cramming, especially a day or two before the test, is foolish; in fact, it may be one of the chief reasons students loathe studying. Instead, study across time at regular intervals rather than at the end of the semester.

Set up a schedule
. Ideally, students should spend time reading and studying course material steadily across a semester. Establishing a routine, really, a study schedule is best. It's probably too late for this term, right? Not so fast: You can still create a study schedule between now and the exam. Don't spend more than an hour or two at a time studying one subject. Take a short break or study a different subject for a while before returning to the earlier material.

Study where you will be left alone. Ironically, perhaps, college libraries are often the social centers on many campuses; students go there to catch up on everything but studying. You need to find a quite, remote place (not your room with its Wii system, television, and enticing bed) where you can hunker down and focus on your work without distraction. Empty classrooms or students lounges that are off the beaten path are often good choices.

Read. In an earlier blog, I noted that many students never crack open the books assigned in their classes. You cannot hope to learn if you don't study the appropriate material. So, get the books and read them (and set up a reading schedule so that you read what you need before class-or that final exam).

Put away that yellow marker. When I was a first semester freshman I highlighted sections of my psychology text as a way to study. When I began to review for the first course exam, I realized that I had underlined virtually all of the text in the chapters we'd covered. I learned then that underlining needed to be done judiciously--just highlight the main ideas in each chapter, please--otherwise the exercise is a waste of time unless you plan to reread each and every chapter (which might not hurt, but that is not what we might call studying per se). Less underlining is always more.

Forget memorizing--try deeper processing. Rote learning may sometimes have worked for you in high school--it certainly helped me memorize the musculature of the cat for a biology practicum once upon a time back in high school--but it is not an effective strategy for college-level work. As you read or review course material, think about what it actually means and create connections between it and what you already know or want (need) to still learn. Such deeper processing of information will help you retain new information for a longer time. You should also mentally make course material personally relevant and meaningful by linking it to your everyday life and past experiences.

There is no shame in overlearning course material. Just because you may already know some course material doesn't mean you shouldn't keep studying it as an exam date approaches. Practice--even over-practice--really does make perfect. So, continuing to review and rehearse something after you have already mastered it can still lead to improved retention. What have you go to lose?

And in this merry season of finals, one more bit of advice:

Don't self-handicap
. In other words, don't sabotage your exam performance by creating an excuse or opportunity for failure. Prior to taking a final, all too many students are tempted to party the night away. Such stress release (coupled with the next day's hangover) can serve as a convenient excuse for mediocre or poor performance ("Dude, I didn't bomb the final because I'm not smart or because I didn't study, I was just too wasted"). Self-handicapping comes in many familiar forms: alcohol, procrastination, drugs, over-commitment-you name the distraction. So, save the Christmas cheer for later, after your finals are over.

Like the December holidays, finals will come and pass quickly. One of the best ways to settle down for a long winter's nap is being content with the knowledge you studied your hardest and did the best you could. And that is no humbug.

Dana S. Dunn, Ph.D. is Professor of Psychology at Moravian College, a liberal arts college in Bethlehem, PA. He is the author or editor of many books, including Research Methods for Social Psychology, The Practical Researcher: A Student Guide to Conducting Psychological Research, and Short Guide to Writing about Psychology (2nd Edition).

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: Tis the Season for . . . Final Exams

Studying for Finals and Midterms - Stress Traps To Avoid
About.com
blog: Stress Management
By Elizabeth Scott, M.S.

Studying Mistakes: How To Make Finals More Stressful

Studying for finals and midterms tends to be automatically linked with stress. In fact, where stress is already built into a situation where you need to call up all the important information that you’ve learned in each of several classes over the course of several months, the last thing students need to do is add to the stress of midterms and finals, right? Well, unfortunately, many students inadvertently do just that. Certain common practices that often make finals even more stressful than they need to be. Do any of these sound familiar?

Pulling “All-Nighters”

Many students —- especially those who work best with deadlines —- find themselves staying up all night studying. Going through the next day exhausted, many may wonder if it’s worth it -— do the benefits of an all-night study session outweigh the sleepiness and fuzzy thinking that generally characterize the next day? Recent research says ‘no.’ A study set to be published in the January issue of Behavioral Sleep Medicine found that students who regularly pulled all-nighters tended to have lower GPAs than those who didn’t. The study also found that most students didn’t stay up all night studying because they had to. They did it because it was ‘kind of fun,’ or a rite of passage. This is good news because it means that most students, armed with the understanding that all-nighters aren’t associated with higher grades, can stop.

Powering Down the Caffeine

Decades ago, truck drivers and students in the throes of finals season might consider taking caffeine pills or powering down the Mountain Dew to stay awake when they wanted to be up all night. More recently, many ‘energy drinks’ have sprung up on the market, and are gaining popularity with students who want to have extra energy for extra studying. While energy drinks may be tempting, and some evidence shows that they can enhance performance in the short term (especially for those who aren't habitual consumers), there are drawbacks as well. Caffeine can give your energy level a temporary jolt, but that can be accompanied by a later crash that leaves you feeling completely drained. Studies show that students who consumed energy drinks may also experience headaches or even heart palpitations. Also, caffeine stays in your system for many hours longer than you may expect, which can interfere with sleep, making it difficult to sleep when you need to. This can leave you exhausted rather than refreshed in the morning, and potentially causing a self-perpetuating cycle. Finding natural ways to get extra energy, such as a healthy diet and exercise, as well as quality sleep on a regular basis, is the best way to maintain enough energy to tackle finals.

Having Study Parties with Your Fun Friends

While it seems like a great idea to get together and study with your friends, if you’re not careful you may find yourself wasting valuable study time accomplishing nothing but some muted fun. With the wrong mix of people, group studying can turn into a gossip session. Even meeting in the wrong place, such as a busy restaurant or worse -- a dorm room -- can offer enough distraction to sabotage your efforts. It's best to stick with the library or another quiet place that presents the right atmosphere and is conducive to studying. Study groups can be wonderfully successful, but be sure to think long and hard before organizing one. Choose people who are responsible and committed, and be sure that you maintain the same level of commitment to studying. You can all celebrate your good grades when finals are over.

Waiting Until The Last Minute and Going On Adrenaline
While many people swear by this method, it’s an obvious risk if you really think about it. First, you always run the risk of not finishing in time, and being unprepared. Second, you greatly increase your chances of needing to try some of the other items on this list, such as powering down the caffeine or pulling all-nighters. Finally, adrenaline and hasty ‘cramming’ tend to encode information into your short-term memory, but the knowledge doesn’t always remain memorized; you cheat yourself out of a true education. (And you may want to build on this knowledge later, rather than having to re-learn it at some future date.) A wiser choice for those who work best with deadlines is to give yourself a deadline that’s really a week or so before your ‘real’ deadline -- this gives you a burst of motivation, but also some wiggle room.

Constantly Reminding Yourself What’s At Stake

While remembering the importance of a test’s outcome can be a good motivator for studying, too much focus on the outcome can backfire. If you’re the type of person who is already pretty conscientious, and the idea of doing poorly on the test is starting to cause significant test anxiety, it may be time to shift your focus. This is because being overly anxious about a test’s outcome can actually cause you to do poorly, or to score lower than you normally would. To avoid obsessing, try some positive affirmations, visualizations, or tips from this article on overcoming test anxiety. Now that you know the ingredients of academic self-sabotage, you know what to avoid. Check out the student stress section of this site for more information on academic anxiety, or read this article on how to stress less and do better in school.

Related articles:

Mashka

I've done all of the helpful tips and I've also made all of the mistakes this semester :lol: Thanks Daniel :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Another point:

Students who take tests on material before studying it remember the information better and longer than those who study without pretesting.

Anyone can use this learning technique to enhance recall of new information...This phenomenon has obvious applications for education, but the technique could be useful for anyone who is trying to absorb new material of any kind.

The Pluses of Getting It Wrong: Scientific American

Banned

Banned
I find pre-testing myself on the information immensely helpful, as it lets me know where I need to focus my studying. I also use as many interactive learning materials as I can find, as they usually help you better absorb and apply the information vs just memorizing it, which isn't helpful in the long term. I've been out of school for 18 years so I'm using all the tools I can to help me learn.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.